User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of exercising 'eye for an eye' retribution?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Eye for an eye' is as ancient as it is just.

19 42.22%
  • I'm with Gandhi on this; 'an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind!"

20 44.44%
  • Well... <insert commentary via post>

6 13.33%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Probably so. Old law: old cultures. I recall learning about the Code of Hammurabi in middle school, which I believe is the Babylonian law that started it all.
    I'm pretty sure Binary Numbers meant that throwing acid on the faces of women is a relatively common form of assault in the Middle East (including Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan). Its usually meant as a form of terrorism, making an example out of a women who challenge prevailing cultural and religious attitudes, such as not wearing a Burkha or attempting to go to school. Its actually a very serious regional problem (along with "honor killings"), and part of the woman's motivation might very well be to make an example of this perpetrator-people here have dismissed that possibility too hastily. That said, attempting to do this on the basis of Shariah law only perpetuates the problem, reinforcing the same beliefs and mindset that led to this abomination in the first place.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    Think of something almost as bad as blinding him and take away his fre... oh crap, I forgot he's in Iran.

The man is poor enough. Just feel feelings and be done.
    Yeah! People in third world countries live such crappy lives, their governments should just give up on punishing crime.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Honestly, I got no problem with the guy being blinded. He gets to blind her and go on his merry way? Uh, no.
    Well, he's been in prison for over three years and the government has no intention of releasing him. He certainly doesn't get to go on his merry way.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I'm pretty sure Binary Numbers meant that throwing acid on the faces of women is a relatively common form of assault in the Middle East (including Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan). Its usually meant as a form of terrorism, making an example out of a women who challenge prevailing cultural and religious attitudes, such as not wearing a Burkha or attempting to go to school. Its actually a very serious regional problem (along with "honor killings"), and part of the woman's motivation might very well be to make an example of this perpetrator-people here have dismissed that possibility too hastily. That said, attempting to do this on the basis of Shariah law only perpetuates the problem, reinforcing the same beliefs and mindset that led to this abomination in the first place.
    That makes more sense now - when she said she doesn't want it happening again, she wasn't referring to just her perpetrator doing it again - she might have meant acid attacks by men in general.

That's an interesting point that working with "the system" to punish her attacker will only perpetuate the fundamental causes of the issue.

BTW, with your profile name, I'm surprised you know so much about this topic.

I am still thinking about the answer to this one. I am a relativist, not necessarily a moral one, but I do respect and acknowledge different cultures, systems, contexts.

I think in this case, demanding tenets of Shariah/Islamic law and legal as well as cultural 'rights' of the victim to be invoked may actually have the effect she wanted - that is to make an example and scare men into NOT commiting this hate crime (it's a hate crime IMHO).

You are showing EVERYONE that the system can work in action the way it does on paper - that it actually does give EVERYONE some kinds of rights and is not a tool soley to be abused by men or others in power. That could be a wake-up call to perpetrators that they don't necessarily run the show and while culturally they are priveleged above women (at least for the moment) that they are stiill a part of the system and not above the law.

I hope I'm making sense. It's late.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I support her claim, however I'm not sure the government should...They should however make it very clear that throwing acid is something that you will pay dearly for (whatever that punishment may be), coz it is a big problem there. Rejection is something that apparently those guys over there don't do very well, and it's often followed by an attitude of: If I can't have her, then I'll make sure no one wants her.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I am a relativist, not necessarily a moral one, but I do respect and acknowledge different cultures, systems, contexts.
    Even if you were a moral relativist, it would mean you respect both acid throwing and any retribution for it as moral systems equal to any other.

So, with solely that position you'd be torn as to whether to support the guy who threw the acid, the woman who got blinded, punish both, let both go free etc.

Moral relativism generally means nothing on it's own. It simultaneously supports contradicting moralities.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
    Blind this asshole. No mercy.
    haha, yeah do it. what kind of asshole throws acid on people? I do agree however that justice won't really be served because her vision will not return. did someone already say it sucks being her?

I guess the moral to this story is don't date assholes.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    intp

She's not fooling anyone. It's obviously retribution. And that's okay. Retribution unfairly gets a bad rap.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I support her claim, however I'm not sure the government should...They should however make it very clear that throwing acid is something that you will pay dearly for (whatever that punishment may be), coz it is a big problem there. Rejection is something that apparently those guys over there don't do very well, and it's often followed by an attitude of: If I can't have her, then I'll make sure no one wants her.
    What would really end this is if those governments started executing the offenders. That's not outside the realm of possibility. There are lots of crimes that are punished by execution over there.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What would really end this is if those governments started executing the offenders. That's not outside the realm of possibility. There are lots of crimes that are punished by execution over there.
    It is a definite option..and not a bad one at that, considering their local cultural beliefs.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”