User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of exercising 'eye for an eye' retribution?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Eye for an eye' is as ancient as it is just.

19 42.22%
  • I'm with Gandhi on this; 'an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind!"

20 44.44%
  • Well... <insert commentary via post>

6 13.33%
First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Meeeh, I wouldn't be so sure, I've seen some Hollywood acts that beg to differ. :P
    you know their acting though.

also, @entropie always used to stick his tongue out in every post back in '08 like you do now. :P

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    you know their acting though.
    Well yeah, because it says so in the credits! But what stops people from doing the same act in real life situations?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Well yeah, because it says so in the credits! But what stops people from doing the same act in real life situations?
    I think if they don't truly feel remorse they'll keep repeating the same acts that cause others suffering, so their true colors always show and the suffering just piles up and things get so much worse for the perpetrator until no one ever believes them.

MBTI
    INTj

To be honest, I would have been more satisfied if they carried out the punishment. It would have set a better example for others.

Enneagram
    5w4

Do we know why the guy blinded her with acid in the first place?
    In many cases, I'm totally for "eye for an eye". If a person can do something as extreme as splashing acid on another in the first place or setting a cat on fire or committing rape, then they should have a taste of their own medicine. I wouldn't feel sorry for them.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

MBTI
    INTJ

An eye for an eye does make the whole world blind.

Even if I personally would probably have blinded the man if he blinded me, a world based on such old principles isn't really what we should strive for.
    Punishing him by putting him in a prison-cell and make him think over what he's done is far more humane.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    Do we know why the guy blinded her with acid in the first place?
    In many cases, I'm totally for "eye for an eye". If a person can do something as extreme as splashing acid on another in the first place or setting a cat on fire or committing rape, then they should have a taste of their own medicine. I wouldn't feel sorry for them.
    She rejected his unwelcome advances (i.e. unsolicited marriage proposal).
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    She rejected his unwelcome advances (i.e. unsolicited marriage proposal).
    That bitch!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's not a violation of this man's rights to blind him. He gave up his rights when he chose to blind this woman. He is no longer human.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Probably so. Old law: old cultures. I recall learning about the Code of Hammurabi in middle school, which I believe is the Babylonian law that started it all.
    While there is a concept of universal morality I think this goes beyond 'morals' it's about social consequences and order. I'm a cultural relativist. There, I said it. Different cultures, different rules, different society - in this case the punishment does meet the crime in a crudely balanced way. Cutting off a thief's hand, that to me is not the same kind of 'eye for an eye' punishment. Reposessing all or most of a thief's goods and cash - that's more accurate.

Even in peace and justice movements, there is usually a need for militance/violence as well as pacifism. It's about context.

She is not just making a stand for herself, but she says herself this is to prevent others from committing the same crime. I'm sure other would-be acid throwers will think twice once they realize, "holy shit, people actually look DOWN on this?" I would guess this woman has thought about it a lot, and even if there is a high degree of bitterness in her decision, she is doing it on larger principles that are still sound. And she understands she will carry the burden of "having done this to someone". I don't believe it is being done purely out of spite, and even if it were, the larger (positive/balancing) effects on society would remain similar.

When people are in a knock down, drag out fight for their lives, I don't lecture them from the comfort of my luxury skybox seats and explain to them how it's not polite to slap people in the face after they rip out your weave. That's cultural relativist me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari