User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of exercising 'eye for an eye' retribution?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Eye for an eye' is as ancient as it is just.

19 42.22%
  • I'm with Gandhi on this; 'an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind!"

20 44.44%
  • Well... <insert commentary via post>

6 13.33%
First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    I want to understand this perspective a little better. You're saying that when a perpetrator violates someone, they're making the choice to possibly receive the same punishment?
    No--but maybe they should be. I was saying that when people say that harsh punishments are unfair or cruel, that it's sort of diminishing what happened to the victim. The victim did not choose. The criminal knows that he could serve jail time or worse, so in essence has more choice than the victim did. He could choose not to do it. The victim was an innocent party, and her life is permanently changed.

Night--I'm happy to answer your question, but did you read my other responses in this thread explaining my perspective, or are you just going off the fact that I chose the word "psychotic?"
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Ghandi all the way.

I got into a heated discussion on Ventrilo about this...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*is disappointed that this thread isn't about LSD *

She's a hypocrite and a liar- she wants vengance, end of case.

Is it right to want vengance? that's another story, but she's wrong for saying that she doesn't want it and then demanding it.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Night--I'm happy to answer your question, but did you read my other responses in this thread explaining my perspective, or are you just going off the fact that I chose the word "psychotic?"
    I've read the entirety of this thread with great interest.

I meant no offense by my comment. It needles a valid point.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I've read the entirety of this thread with great interest.

I meant no offense by my comment. It needles a valid point.
    Well, from my perspective, the true barbarism is the original act. An act of violence that forever changes the life of the victim, all because he couldn't have what he wanted from her. I wouldn't support a society where people then hunted down their attackers and attacked them similarly. But I don't see the government stepping in and exacting a harsh punishment as psychotic or barbaric, as long as there is agreement. I also don't believe that in most cases, the criminal should receive better than he doled out. If you murder, for instance, I have no problem giving you the death penalty. I don't see punishment by the government as being a psychotic act.

Again, I'm not 100% sure that their government should start "Eye for an Eye" as a policy--obviously that would have ramifications in the future that would have to carefully be considered. But I really don't think that a few years in jail is a harsh enough penalty for ruining another person's life.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    No--but maybe they should be. I was saying that when people say that harsh punishments are unfair or cruel, that it's sort of diminishing what happened to the victim. The victim did not choose. The criminal knows that he could serve jail time or worse, so in essence has more choice than the victim did. He could choose not to do it. The victim was an innocent party, and her life is permanently changed.
    I see the logic here. There's definitely an element of choice involved.

I think that by saying that the villain doesn't deserve the same punishment, a lot of people actually think they're acknowledging the horror of the violation, not downplaying it. It's such a horrible act that no one deserves it--that probably was my reasoning when I first read the article. When I first read the quoted part of the article, the part where it says "It sentenced Movahedi to be blinded with drops of acid in each eye," all I could think about was how excruciating that would be.

I agree that he deserves more punishment than three years in prison, but I'm not sold on him being blinded. Watching the videos and reading the article in full definitely changes my perspective a little; it gives me a lot more sympathy for her and therefore a lot more desire for retribution. And he does seem psychotic.

I'm not sure what I think about this, in the end. There are too many factors at play here.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    To those who believe reciprocal physical punishment is warranted (versus/alongside imprisonment), do you think you would still retain your position if gender was reversed in this particular case?

That is to say, if a spurned woman disfigured a man by throwing acid into his eyes, do you believe it remains appropriate to enact a similar judgment on her?
    Certainly.
    Of course, she wouldn't dare in that milieu. It seems the men there view it as a privilege of sorts.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFP

Several thoughts:

Society's prejudice about women's appearances is a possible reason for the acid incident ruining her life. Perhaps if more people understood that how someone looks is not a measure of their worth that argument would be moot.

In the society this woman lives mutilation is tantamount to murder. Nobody wants a damaged woman. Not true here in the states. Heh.

In a male-dominated society a man throwing acid would be more easily justified. A woman throwing acid would be because she's a "crazy bitch."

Incidently, the documentary I mentioned earlier in this thread took place in New York. The story told implies that she married her perpetrator because she considered herself unmarriageable now that she was blinded.

I have no qualms about living in a reasonable society where people who committed grave offenses against others were swiftly eliminated. The problem is that there are so many people who carry the idea that when someone wrongs them that person should be harmed, that we would all carry the risk of finding ourselves in the position of being labled an offender. In unreasonable society these things can be accomplished by dishonest people with power/money. We all know how it works. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

Good points, Mempy and Anja.

I do think that it is a fate no one should suffer--and I think that is a good way to put it, Mempy. I'd never really heard anyone explain it as well as you did. I guess I just feel like since the attacker DID go there, now he's put himself in a situation where something needs to be done with him.

And I don't really care whether the victim wants revenge or she wants deterrence. She was blinded, for Pete's sake. I'm cutting her some slack. I do think that regardless of what's in her individual heart, deterrence does need to be a factor here.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, I thought Mempy was fairly awesome today! That was some heavy-duty deep thinkin'.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer