User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: My God

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    Monkeys are NOT domestical animals.
    I'm sure many ape owners would beg to differ on that, but in this case... Looks like it was a bad idea. Feeding it powerful drugs was even more stupid.

MBTI
    INTJ

I saw this. Apparently his 'owner' treated him like a human and then locked him in a cage. I happen to think animals are cleverer than we give them credit for! He'd probably had enough.

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't think it's ridiculous to say that the drug was the sole behavior for his aggression but I also don't think it's ridiculous to say I don't know a damn thing about chimps.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I don't think it's ridiculous to say that the drug was the sole behavior for his aggression.
    I'm sure you're probably correct, Beat.

I'd imagine the chimp was reacting to a perceived external threat in a manner that has been instinctively reinforced as a socially appropriate response. From a biochemical standpoint, most primates tower over humans in terms of adrenaline production and use. Using force is much more common in primate culture than ours. It stands to reason that biochemical agents responsible for enhancing forceful behavior would therefore be of higher concentration in "Travis".

The Xanax may have only disoriented the chimp sufficiently enough to establish a reasonable belief that he was in danger. This line of thinking would help to explain the extreme nature of his defensive response.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm sure many ape owners would beg to differ on that, but in this case... Looks like it was a bad idea. Feeding it powerful drugs was even more stupid.
    Night explained it. They are not domestic. It should be (and I think it is?) illegal to have a wild animal in your house, and even more to give it drugs. In the end, the animal died for of the stupidity of a human... what a surprise.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't know what you guys think but this chimp certainly has "Don't fuck with me, I'll eat your testicles" written all over him.

It's a chimp that has had over a decade of history of being very caring and a good pet (according to the owner). Extreme precautions would suggest it's not a good idea to house a chimp, but it's no different than having a Rottweiler per se, IMO.

I said, wild, i.e., not domesticated. Most descendants of animals, which we now call domesticated animals, have been purposely selected, by us, humans, to cross-breed for certain traits that makes them habitable with humans. Like dogs. Chimps...meh...kinda not so. Regardless of what TV shows may portray Tarzan's bff to be.

I don't know what you guys think but this chimp certainly has "Don't fuck with me, I'll eat your testicles" written all over him.

When he was still 'cute' enough to be usable in Coca-Cola, Old Navy ads.

For anyone interested in what may go on behind-the-scenes of many of the laughs you get out of watching antics of animals on TV, just a doc:

Cruelty to Animals in the Entertainment Business : Cruel Camera - Watch Video : the fifth estate : CBC News

The Fifth Estate - Cruel Camera
    Twenty-five years ago, Bob Mckeown and a fifth estate crew stunned the country with an investigative report that showed that many of the wildlife documentaries we'd grown up watching on television (remember the famous footage of the lemmings going off the cliff or some of the memorable moments from shows like Wild Kingdom?) were staged for the television cameras. As well, they revealed that animals often died during the making of movies; all for the sake of the entertainment value.

Now, Bob McKeown and an investigative team have returned to the subject to find out what has changed since the fifth estate's first Cruel Camera documentary. What they found may astonish you.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Seeing that picture made me think of this.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

That's just so heartbreaking for everyone involved

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'm Carl, and I'm pissed.