User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: My God

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

So do many house pets
    I thought that said, "So do many house plants." Now that would make an interesting headline, "200 Pound House Plant Mauls Friend".
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh, I just read in the article that the woman gave the chimp Xanax before he went crazy. She said he didn't normally take it.

I don't think it's a good idea to give a mood altering pill designed for humans to a chimp.
    The Xanax reacted badly with Cuba Libres the chimp was drinking.

She says it was "tea". Yeah...

Here Bonzo - rum & Xanax time!

I know I wouldn't be visiting if the lady of teh house kept an alcoholic, diaper-wearing, Xanax-popping, peanut-chomping ape. No way, Jose.

Horrifying indeed at the suprise this spurs. A wild animal. NOT in the wild. Um...yeah!

Has-been TV chimp, prolly captured, or bred in captivity, found himself an after-life* from a woman needing to replace her dead daughter. He did not her daughter make.

Sometimes, humans' irrationality shocks me.

*(most too-old to control/not cute anymore TV chimps have a fate far worse than death by point-blank gunfire)

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I thought that said, "So do many house plants." Now that would make an interesting headline, "200 Pound House Plant Mauls Friend".
    This might be before your age, but it's close enough:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJxvb8pWDE"]Moranness is EVIL[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

As a nurse I would have charted on this chimp.

0800: Alert and orientedX 3. Pleasant and appropriate but reports feeling anxious. Xanax given. 1030: Chimp reports anxiety an 8 on scale of 0-10. Prn Xanax given. 1200: Chimp eating people in the facility, not responding to redirection.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I echo your thoughts. I never know why people assume other animals will never fly off the handle. Especially chimps, how many times have you seen how brutal those attacks can be? They can rip each other to pieces.
    No doubt, good sir.

MBTI
    ISTx

Xanax to an ape... Smart move.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Horrifying indeed at the suprise this spurs. A wild animal. NOT in the wild. Um...yeah!

Has-been TV chimp, prolly captured, or bred in captivity, found himself an after-life* from a woman needing to replace her dead daughter. He did not her daughter make.

Sometimes, humans' irrationality shocks me.

*(most too-old to control/not cute anymore TV chimps have a fate far worse than death by point-blank gunfire)
    It's a chimp that has had over a decade of history of being very caring and a good pet (according to the owner). Extreme precautions would suggest it's not a good idea to house a chimp, but it's no different than having a Rottweiler per se, IMO.

MBTI
    ENTP

Monkeys are NOT domestical animals.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

It's an unfortunate example of cognitive dissonance overtaking reasonable thinking.

Chimpanzees are wild animals. They haven't benefited from the same evolutionary psychology that encourages domesticated behaviors like dogs or horses have. Primates survive by being aggressive, territorial and maintaining social hierarchies that behave unto themselves. As a result, it is very difficult to accurately predict stimulus-response temperament in extra-primate social systems (like living as a pet).

On top of this, I read the owner gave the chimpanzee Xanax -- Xanax. Incorrect dosage of Xanax in humans (not primates) can encourage erratic activity like aggression, delusion and various mood disorders. Giving it to a chimp was an unbelievably stupid move and likely played a role in enhancing his destructive behavior.

As tragic as it was, the chimp's behavior doesn't surprise me. I hope the owner is held legally accountable for her recklessness.