MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    First World = United States and its allies
    Second World = Soviet Union and its allies
    Third World = everyone else

But nowadays people use the terms more like "First World = developed" and "Third World = underdeveloped"... even so:

Third World Country = Non-industrialized

United States = Industrialized

United States =/= Third World Country
    Ah, I see. Then no... I don't see the USA becoming 3rd world by that definition unless human civilization suffers some sort of cataclysm.

To me it looks like that you are actually becoming Second world country.

Useless leadership and president that is treated as a prophet, problems with old infrastructure , deficit of tolerance, strong central government, problems with education and efficacity, having a less and less free market etc.
    While having a strong army and maintaining technological society on the other hand.

I must say that this traits reminds me on USSR .

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    None of that has anything to do with the US becoming a third world country. We have running water. We have electricity. We have good infrastructure (even if it is kind of old, it's still better than what third world countries have). We have educated citizens. We don't have to worry about diseases like malaria or tuberculosis breaking out in the population. We have plenty of food. None of that will change any time soon.
    Good infrastructure? A bridge collapsed!
    The 115V power supply is quite primitive and overall unsafe when comparing to european power standards.
    The water supply in the capitol city is so chlorinated that it makes more sense to drink bottled water.
    The population is increasingly becoming afflicted with diabetes, likely due to its food supply.

I also would not call the US third world, or on its way, but it is second rate in many ways

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't see our factories magically disappearing anytime soon...
    no, they just sit vacant or are converted to lofts.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    Good infrastructure? A bridge collapsed!
    The 115V power supply is quite primitive and overall unsafe when comparing to european power standards.
    The water supply in the capitol city is so chlorinated that it makes more sense to drink bottled water.
    The population is increasingly becoming afflicted with diabetes, likely due to its food supply.

I also would not call the US third world, or on its way, but it is second rate in many ways
    Are you looking for an argument? Obviously "good" is subjective, and I was comparing the US to real third world countries, not Europe. The infrastructure in the US may not be the best, but it's functional.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

it seems that the world is going to be ruled by one company
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP

I don't see our factories magically disappearing anytime soon...
    Doesn't anyone who posts around here pay attention to the news? All kinds of giant long-lived institutions are biting the dust.

I'm surprised that people take electricty and clean water for granted and expect that they will always be available.

The luxury of abundance has spawned dangerous denial.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Are you looking for an argument? Obviously "good" is subjective, and I was comparing the US to real third world countries, not Europe. The infrastructure in the US may not be the best, but it's functional.
    Hyperbole is common when things get marginally worse.

The US may have quite a few elements of "3rd worldness", in the sense that it has a great deal more poor than other industrialized nations and so forth. In bad times, people simply focus on those parts of the country. And of course, the wealth gap is a pretty major concern in that context. But the overall picture is that the US is wealthy and just doesn't care to redistribute it like other industrialized nations.

We differ in political opinion, but the hyperbole is... just that. I've been hearing about it for well over a decade.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I've never seen state governments as being any less involved in the problem of "pork" or mis-managed/mis-allocated funds than the Feds. So this wouldn't strike me as a great step forward even if it does happen.
    If these states successfully forgo federal interference there's a substantial decrease in pork and mismanaged funds right there.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INFP

And a decade is the blink of an eye, pt. The thing is that deterioration is accellerating and at an exponential rate. It's the constant rate of decline which I have seen in many decades which is distrubing to me.

Not talking about any individual charts and figures. As I've said, all one needs to do is look at one's own life or the life of one's neighbor for the realistic truth. Ask around about the kinds of problems people are having. If they'll share most families are in serious trouble and with more than financial problems.

I wonder how much water has to leak into the boat before people wake up and stop saying, "Alright so far."

The time for alarm may have been around the mid '60s when we seem to have made a lurching shift in world view. But everyone had enough and was comfortable. Those who warned of what was to come were ignored.

One is tempted to look the other way as long as we have food. Because, ultimately there's not much one can do. But being aware isn't a bad idea.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer