User Tag List

Thread: Lol, this is hilarious

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson Array

Default Lol, this is hilarious

Two satellites collided (Finally):

Satellite collision 'more powerful than China's ASAT test' - space - 13 February 2009 - New Scientist

Crash of US, Russian satellites a threat in space

"But the Iridium and Cosmos satellites collided at 42,120 kilometres per hour, Lewis calculates, imparting 50,000 joules per gram of their mass."

"a working satellite owned by U.S.-based Iridium, which served commercial customers as well as the U.S. Department of Defense."

....Fragments may trigger a chain of collisions."

Man, just imagine what this means... and WHAT THAT WOULD LOOK LIKE! Makes watching a Nascar hitting the wall at 150 mph seem like kiddy shit. I think the late George Carlin would be happy that we're having accidents and disasters in space now. It's a new era of mankind imo....

I wonder when we'll have 2 space stations collide... or a satellite/space station collision!!

man this gives me all sorts of wonderful morbid ideas..... how bad would it suck to get hit in the head with satellite debris and be known as "that one person killed by a satellite" ? What if your brand new Beemer got destroyed by a flaming, charred solar panel crashing to the surface? I don't think Geico would cover that one!

While the debris will never reach the surface, save maybe anything coated in Iridium (the element, not the satellite), this is still something that was just waiting to happen.

It won't be the last. Space is big, but even big gets crowded.