User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Rush Limbaugh understands

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    And if I remember correctly, that "deregulation" may have started in the Clinton administration.
    It did... IIRC, in 94 and 99.

Deregulation is not exactly the culprit, just... a catalyst. The corruption has been there for a very long time, and this just caused it to bubble to the top.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

Deregulation is not exactly the culprit, just... a catalyst. The corruption has been there for a very long time, and this just caused it to bubble to the top.
    Exactly .

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

I wish more people understood this.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I wish more people understood this.
    I was surprised that McCain didn't say it during the campaign.

There was a document the size of a city phone book presented for signing just as Congress was getting ready to break, I vaguely recall hearing, and of course no one had the time to read and digest it, coming in at the last moment.

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the other hand, since Phil and McCain are supposed to be linked, then maybe it isn't so surprising.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    On the other hand, since Phil and McCain are supposed to be linked, then maybe it isn't so surprising.
    That tends to be the case

What happens is that regulation is put in place by one party (either or, but mostly D) that will benefit their political situation. It's a combination of playing to the supporters and believing that it will help. In most cases, it doesn't, and ends up costing a great deal. The problem with being rich (more complex version: having a lack of stabilizers that increase volatility for the benefit of higher average growth) is that you can afford the regulations in good times, but they actually hurt during the bad times (more).

On the other hand, the other part (R mostly) come in and deregulate everything, which in theory would be good, but does so for the same reasons - to help selective groups. When regulation is selective, those particular parts without regulation gain artificial market power, not to mention that it's being done to make individuals rich (an "elite", from certain POVs). Like the bank execs, etc. that now have enough power that they can hold the government and the people hostage for their own personal gain. In a very real and literal sense.

What isn't being done is creating a solid system, and it's been known for a very long time. However, wealth hides it. The problem is that the banking system is going to collapse at it's current state - it came close twice recently, and quite a few times before that showed it wasn't chance. It's still fixable, but... the system is highly flawed in its current state. Being rich and dominant can hide problems, but like many countries have come to realise, the foundation is not "just there". It's backed by oversight and regulation... of the right type.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    Funny how Limbaugh blames liberalism for the state of the economy. Who was in power for the last 8 years?
    Mostly liberal republicans.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The more Republicans take their cues from Rush, the worse they're gunna lose in the next elections.

heart on fire

Clinton merely completed the Reagen revolution and the breaking of the New Deal. Why people continue to feel a need to see the parties as opposites perplexes me no end.

I think I liked him better on his pills.

Sarcasm aside, wtf kinda person WANTS the president leading their own country to fail? I'm not Republican, but if McCain won I sure as hell would not have wanted him to fail.

Where's an attention whore pic when ya need one? Conclusion: desperate bid at post-election relevance to rally the base, whomever the hell they are now.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke