User Tag List

123 Last

Default 33y.o. California Mother of IVF Octuplets Reportedly "Obsessed" With Having Children

There are many articles out there about this loony Nadya Suleyman (spelling varies by news story), but here's a page chronicling the relevant news breaks in chronological order.

Highlights as follows:
    The woman who gave birth to octuplets this week conceived all 14 of her children through in-vitro fertilization, is not married, and has been obsessed with having children since she was a teenager, her mother said.
    In the past, the mother says she sought psychological help for her daughter because she was obsessed with children, and threw her out of the house. Isn't there a psychiatric term for someone with a baby obsession?

Angela Suleman told The Associated Press she was not supportive when her daughter, Nadya Suleman, decided to have more embryos implanted last year.

"It can't go on any longer," she said in a phone interview Friday. "She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way. I firmly believe in marriage. But she didn't want to get married."
    That's right. And if other news reports are correct; she's now a single, unemployed, mother of 14 living with her parents and supported by disability in a three bedroom house. Her preexisting 6 children are all under the age of 8, among them twin two-year olds.

The news that the octuplets' mother already had six children sparked an intense ethical debate. Some medical experts were disturbed to hear that she was offered fertility treatment, and troubled by the possibility that she was implanted with so many embryos.

Her fertility doctor has not been identified.
    Apparently, her fertility doctor is now under state investigation by the Medical Board of California for A) implanting well over the standard of 1-2 embryos, B) giving the procedure to a woman who may not have met the criteria for being deemed "infertile", C) not taking into account that she was already a single mother of 6 on disability, D) ignoring her previous bouts of depression and suicidal thoughts before and after childbirth.

Unbelievable.

It's an interesting discussion considering that apparently she has
    --a Bachelor's Degree in Child & Adolescent Development
    --is pursuing a Master's Degree in Counseling at the California State University at Fullerton
    --has rejected welfare aid

And apparently, there is presently no law on the number of embryos allowed to be implanted at a time during IVF --only guidelines.

I'm also wondering where in the world she got the time and money for cosmetic procedures. I haven't seen her t.v. interviews, but her picture is floating the web:

Disturbed yet? Cause I sure as hell am. It's interesting during a time when there is so much discussion about the responsibility of taking lives, whether it be war, abortion, or capital punishment. But what about the far greater responsibility of creating lives?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

She kind of reminds of Angelina Jolie.
    Anyways back to topic, THAT IS CRAZY!!! And they can't legally take the babies away can they? Poor children.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

this bitch is crazy.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I sometimes think that my mother would have done this if she got the chance, but then, her desire for kids might have been over-powered by her weird adherence to what is "natural".

Either way, she suffered internal damage that is probably the only reason she didn't have 5 or more kids.

My mother said that having children was always her goal. She mainly slept with people just to become a mother. She didn't put much thought into who fathered her kids, hence my father being totally mismatched for her and not cut-out for parenting, and my half-brother's dad was a druggy who killed himself. My mother also never developed any financial stability, she's hardly been employed.

Given that experience, I've have thought at some length about the responsibility of having kids. I've often felt that she was so pre-occupied with having kids that she didn't actually think about her children individually. She didn't seem to calculate her ability to take care of us, or anticipate our personal needs (she has also been disturbingly reluctant with each of us when we decided to leave home). It's an odd kind of selfishness that can unfortunately mask itself easily as devotion.

I think that people should absolutely begin working on deciding a legal limit on the number of embryos allowed. It's unstable and costly for society, and I think it will bring a lot of bitter people into the world, if we look at it from a personal perspective. There's already a problem with people having children without the means to raise them, we don't need science enhancing that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's an odd kind of selfishness that can unfortunately mask itself easily as devotion.
    Absolutely. I think that the motherhood worship so in vogue right now is masking the ugly truth behind it; an incredibly selfish whim.

The trouble's always in the details though. Does limiting the number of IVF embryos infringe on the mother's individual rights? Sure. But to what extent do we allow her "right" or desire to become a burden and detriment to the community and her offspring? Sheesh.

I'm guessing this remarkable case will contribute to the springboard for this type of discussion about IVF regulation... among other things.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    The trouble's always in the details though. Does limiting the number of IVF embryos infringe on the mother's individual rights? Sure. But to what extent do we allow her "right" or desire to become a burden and detriment to the community and her offspring? Sheesh.

I'm guessing this remarkable case will contribute to the springboard for this type of discussion about IVF regulation... among other things.
    This seems like no problem to me. Medical practioners don't have to do whatever a person wants in a an elective procedure, they don't even have to grant the elective procedure at all. This is no violation of rights. It's not written anywhere that these professional must obey our whims.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

This seems like no problem to me. Medical practioners don't have to do whatever a person wants in a an elective procedure, they don't even have to grant the elective procedure at all. This is no violation of rights. It's not written anywhere that these professional must obey our whims.
    Your point brings to mind another thought. Granted, I don't know that this term applies to this woman in particular but would infertility count as a type of disability? Does it?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

* insert boring scientific response about genes are meant to propagate. those that don't have that desire don't make it to the next generation. *

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Your point brings to mind another thought. Granted, I don't know that this term applies to this woman in particular but would infertility count as a type of disability? Does it?
    Gut reaction: In a single person, no. Their ability to physically care for themselves is not impaired. However, it could lead to psychological disabilities in some women.

The other thought that came to mind is that if every female on the planet became infertile, it seems pretty likely it would be considered a disability at that time. Not sure where the line is drawn, though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

Insane. I actually want to smack her. Really. She has driven me to want to throw down.

And it was revealed this AM that she in fact is on food stamps and she does receive government funding for 3 of her 6 prior children, as they ARE DISABLED.

/kicks her in the head

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yet people claim health care is a right. Some want to, as a society, force the medical practitioners to obey society's whims.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."