First 12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Or this:

Dunno bout the UK, but if a Christian foster child went Muslim or atheist in America, and someone found out, there would be a huge uproar.
    Actually, I do believe the same kind of people who went into an uproar over the reverse situation would uphold the change to Islam, and in particular the media would be quite defensive of it. That is how back asswards I truly believe they have become. I don't care either way if someone wants to change their religion, this is a free country. It's just that what is considered "acceptable" has undergone a change... a troubling change.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    1. On the face of it, yes, this is ridiculous.

2. Beware the Daily Mail.
    Seconded. (Or rather thirded, after Costrin)

With this publication's unedifying history of scaremongering, bending the truth to suit their polemic purposes, and unrelenting hostility to Muslims/immigrants, I would personally be inclined to take anything they have to say on this subject with all the credence I would accord to any common or garden pathological liar. It may well be that there are some serious issues to be addressed here, but I suspect the truth will out in time. On the assumption that there is here (yet again) a tiny kernel of truth being smothered into an unrecognisable condition by layer upon layer of journalistic hysteria, I think I will reserve judgement on what has actually happened until I see it corroborated one way or the other by a more reliable source than the Mail. Pity, as this is a VERY interesting issue

Oh, and for anyone who's interested, or sceptical of what I say, here's a site devoted to exposing the Daily Mail's modus operandi: Daily Mail Watch
    It gives me the odd laugh at any rate
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INFP

Thanks for the heads up on the rag, Ragashree.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Seconded. (Or rather thirded, after Costrin)
    Oh, and for anyone who's interested, or sceptical of what I say, here's a site devoted to exposing the Daily Mail's modus operandi: Daily Mail Watch
    It gives me the odd laugh at any rate
    I was kinda hoping for something more along the lines of a point-by-point expose of past Daily Mail stories, especially as it relates to giving false impressions through selective presentation of facts; all I found were forums of people making fun of the front pages of the newspaper. Looking at those front pages, I did notice a tendency toward focusing on sensationalist stories and entertainment news, but that's not enough to treat any story in the paper as I would one in the National Enquirer, as you seem to reccomend. Can you give any examples of why I should be so dismissive of anything printed in this newspaper?

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    1. On the face of it, yes, this is ridiculous.

2. Beware the Daily Mail.
    Absolutely.

The Sun is held in higher regard.

It has got a good ladies' section, I'm told.

MBTI
    INxJ

Special. Like removing an eye with a stick.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear about this happening in some middle eastern country, but the UK? WTF indeed.
    Heh, actually I was going to say I wasn't surprised to hear about it happening in the UK.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I was kinda hoping for something more along the lines of a point-by-point expose of past Daily Mail stories, especially as it relates to giving false impressions through selective presentation of facts; all I found were forums of people making fun of the front pages of the newspaper. Looking at those front pages, I did notice a tendency toward focusing on sensationalist stories and entertainment news, but that's not enough to treat any story in the paper as I would one in the National Enquirer, as you seem to reccomend. Can you give any examples of why I should be so dismissive of anything printed in this newspaper?
    Wow, takes a lot to satisfy you! Can't you just look up the online version and read through some back issues like I would do if I wanted to see how an unfamilar publication operated?

Oh, very well then *grumbles* Five Chinese Crackers: How the Daily Mail lies about immigration. Part I: "The Context". Please don't say I've never done anything for you now. How about satisfying my own curiosity with regards to the National Enquirer then? or I might just have to take your own statement with a huge grain of salt

Edit: this post from the same site gets to the point quicker than the previousFive Chinese Crackers: What a difference a year makes
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...