User Tag List

123 Last

Exclamation Czech Government Criticized for Surgical Castration of Sex Offenders

Have you guys seen this article? Opening and closing:
    The Czech Republic has been strongly criticised by Europe's leading human rights body for continuing to surgically castrate male sex offenders.

The committee said that its members found during a visit to two Czech psychiatric hospitals and two prisons in March and April 2008 that "a situation can easily arise whereby patients or prisoners acquiesce rather than consent, believing that it is the only available option to them to avoid indefinite confinement."

The Czech government, which currently holds the rotating presidency of the European Union, has largely rejected the report, arguing that its procedures conform to its own laws.
    I feel rather ignorant not having realized parts of Europe were still employing such medieval tactics against sex offenders.

Interesting snippet:
    Other countries, including Poland, Italy and France, seeking ways of dealing with violent sex offenders and paedophiles, have investigated using chemical castration methods.
    I had to Wiki "chemical castration" because I've never heard of this before:
    Chemical castration is the administration of medication designed to reduce libido and to reduce sexual activity, usually in the hope of preventing rapists, pedophiles and other sex offenders from reoffending. Recidivism rates are very high among sexual offenders once released[1], thus a humane method of treating them has been sought other than life long imprisonment or surgical castration.
    Any thoughts on this? This alternative "solution" is also news to me and I'll have to mull it over before giving an opinion. I'd like to see other members input. (You guys are great with alternative perspectives and additional information.)

Thanks in advance.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ISFJ

If a man stabs another man you don't punish him by cutting off his hands or crippling them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'm someone who doesn't believe in rehabilitation and supports capital punishments of various accords. So I'm biased about this.

I don't see anything wrong here.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    If a man stabs another man you don't punish him by cutting off his hands or crippling them.
    This is a poor comparison. Do you understand why?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

A primitive and ignorant approach to the problem. Removing sexual organs from sex offenders doesn't change the psychological make-up which drives them to offend.

That said, sexual offenses against defensless people are so all-pervasive in the world and so very damaging to the healthy growth of human beings, if it has gotten to the point where people must do something inhuman in a vain attempt to stem the tide, then this is what we will see. Especially when children are involved we will see a desperate backlash.

Sex offenders are among the most inclined to recidivism. And the vast amount of treatment and maintenance it takes to attempt to rehabilitate a singe person makes treatment and sustenance of stability economically unfeasible.

An extreme solution to the problem? Intensive treatment for first time offenders, removal from society for second-timers. Put them all in a place where they can order their own social structure and let the strongest prevail.

I have a pretty strong reaction to sex offenders, as does most of the population. Unlike murder, it is the gift which keeps on giving and poisons lives for their duration.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

As long as it can be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is a crime they committed and not sex with consent... Then yeah... And in the case of pedophiles, torture them to death. But it's got to be proven.

And no, I don't believe in rehabilitation. I'm a fascist when it comes to punishments.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTJ

Removing sexual organs from sex offenders doesn't change the psychological make-up which drives them to offend.
    No, but it does make them a LOT less likely to offend. There's a reason castrated animals (horses, dogs etc.) are much, much more docile and much, much less aggressive/sexual after castration.

I would oppose surgical castration because it's irreversible and it's not worth this happening to one innocent man even if it means 2000 guilty ones are punished (my view is the same on the death penalty) but chemical castration - which is practiced here in Canada - seems to be a good and practical solution. In fact a number of pedophiles who have failed to be rehabbed have requested it.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INFP

Kangirl. Don't forget that the motivation in rape is not sexual gratification but rather expression of rage and attempt to control.

Punishment, nor requesting someone else to control them, does not work for predators within the freedom of our social environment.

There is a tremendous amount of mental conditioning involved in creating a social predator.

I will allow that a sufficient amount of various drugs administered to a criminal can alter their thoughts and behaviors.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

There is another article, the CNN version that is the cause of some of my trepidation and especial concern:

The procedure is being performed even on first-time, non-violent offenders, such as exhibitionists, its investigation revealed.

Prisoners have to request castration under Czech law, but many fear they will be jailed for life if they do not, the investigation found.

"In practically all the cases, these patients indicated that their application was at least partially instigated by fear of long-term detention," the report said.

"Some patients claimed that the treating sexologist had explicitly told them that surgical castration was the only available option to them and that refusal would mean lifelong detention."

And it warned that some "significantly" mentally retarded people had been castrated. "In at least five cases, legally incapacitated offenders were surgically castrated," the report said. "In all of these instances, the court-appointed guardian had signed the consent form; in two cases, the guardians were mayors."

The investigators found only two convicts who had spontaneously volunteered for castration, while others they interviewed said mental health staff specializing in sexuality had recommended it.

"The other patients interviewed indicated that the treating sexologist had suggested surgical castration, in several cases within a week of the patient's admission to hospital," the report said.

"Some of the sexologists interviewed by the delegation themselves affirmed that for certain patients there was no alternative treatment to surgical castration."
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

If some legitimate way of reducing sex offenders sex drive would have an end result of there being less innocent people getting raped, it's definitely worth looking into. Especially some kind of voluntary program, maybe one where sex offenders could get a lower sentence for taking part in the program.

But the ACLU does have a point that this can reasonably be interpreted as "cruel and unusual punishment".

And I'm sure that in the future, there will be even more humane ways of altering the psychology of sex offenders that would enable them to come back into society without the urge to sexually abuse other people again. I saw a documentary a while ago that talked about potential medicine that could help.

The pro's and con's should at least be weighed out. What if it would create a 40% drop in repeat offending?