User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default What's Your Take?

One the increasing suicide rates in the US military?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    One the increasing suicide rates in the US military?
    It doesn't surprise me. Military life is very hard, especially when you have to serve in a foreign country.

It could also indicate a feeling that what they're doing has no meaning.

Sniffles

It certainly shows that our military is under severe strain.

deleted

I think middle eastern military suicides have us beat.

MBTI
    INFP

And the point is what?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    And the point is what?
    There was a point? I thought we were just coming up with explanations for the statistic. There doesn't seem to be a point, it just seems to be the case.

Umm... are you saying that we need put our soldiers on antidepressants or increase the number of morale-boosting measures?

MBTI
    INFP

I was asking Lemons, Athenian. I understood your response.

deleted

Sorry was that not funny?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    Sorry was that not funny?
    Yeah. I've got that same ghastly sense of humor.

But I don't know you yet and thought you just may be stoopid.

I don't have any suggestions for how to stop it but I do have some thoughts on why it is happening, Athenian, and I'd like to hear others' thoughts for causal factors.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    There was a point? I thought we were just coming up with explanations for the statistic. There doesn't seem to be a point, it just seems to be the case.

Umm... are you saying that we need put our soldiers on antidepressants or increase the number of morale-boosting measures?
    There was an article (RECENT) in TIME magazine that highlighted the Army's "under the table" approval of administering SSRIs (Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, Etc.) to troops in Iraq/Afghanistan in an effort to keep them deployed and to prevent them from having a mental breakdown and going home.

It's sad really. These men and women have been through 2,3, maybe even more tours of duty. They have not seen their families. They are stressed to the brink of losing it. My Dad spent 33 years in the U.S. Army, he went to Vietnam for 1 year, and he has said that how our modern Army is expected to serve is not appropriate. Let's see the greedy, bloodsucking CEOs and board members of Blackwater, Halliburton, Wackenhut, CAIC, and KBA serve even a single hour in harm's way. They will not because they part of the corrupt regime aggrandized by "W" that has been given carte blanche authority to rob America blind in the name of a "war on terror" that has no real purpose for being waged in Iraq. I'll get off my soap box now. :steam:

My friend and classmate just returned from his 3rd tour in Iraq. He is happy that President Obama is pulling out a significant number of our troops within 16 months.

Our troops need rest, time with their families, and counseling, not SSRIs, IMHO.