User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, it is sad, One.

And still the thing that raises my curiousity is that these conditions are nothing new. Every generation in America has been affected by one war or another and much more severely than the present one.

And word is still coming out about the injustices handed out to the veterans of WWII which we knew nothing about at the time.

Today's soldiers at least have computer contact with their families and many other amenities which previous generations of soldiers lacked. Dear John letters were prevelant in WWII and where the expression came from.

What's different? Do our present day soldiers lack the fortitude and blind dedicaton to the cause that other generations of soldiers had? Has the anti-war movement caused that change?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I'm really sorry to hear about this..it really makes you realize how easy off we have things back home..when thousands of people not so different from ourselves are out there in the world, standing up to things we can never imagine..
    they were not drafted or forced into the enlisting.

However, the military is a pretty pushy cult.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It doesn't surprise me. Military life is very hard, especially when you have to serve in a foreign country.

It could also indicate a feeling that what they're doing has no meaning.
    Yes.

War is psychologically and physically debilitating.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Suicide is tragic in either case. MPs see them all the time, they have to work the scenes they happen in.

When in training, this is generally the first thing you hear out of any experienced MP's mouth is a Lot of suicide cases. Domestics being the only one surpassing that.

In Basic training, this was back in 2005, we started out with 61ish females in my unit. We graduated 25ish. More than 3 of those were lost to suicide attempts.. and they hadn't even been in the real army yet.

I can't understand what the motivation is behind it all.. but I think that suicide is a personal choice made by someone currently unhealthy. and I know for a fact that the battle buddy system prevents this sort of thing when administered correctly.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP

Do you think, kyuuei, that a volunteer army may be attracting a type of personality who feels "weak" and thinks that by joining the forces of war that that will make them "strong?"

If so, that could play a part in the disillusionment which leads to suicide.

A cautionary note: Obviously I'm not assigning this to the masses who enter the army for various other reasons, but it seems that something like the mmiltary could draw many of a certain type who thinks he needs to "toughen up."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    One the increasing suicide rates in the US military?
    It has surges every once in awhile. I remember the training videos that would pop out due to increases.

The military in truth is just a microcosm of the real world. The same things go on, and sometimes even more (like adultery).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    One the increasing suicide rates in the US military?
    They finally realized that the government won't send them home and decided that the only way to end such b*s like killing others for no intelligible reason was to kick the bucket.

Better to do it yourself, i guess.
    I N V I C T U S