User Tag List

MBTI
    infp

Talking The war of the buses continues...

Some time last year some adverts were placed on London buses by the British humanist association saying "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Source

Today the Christian party have decided to hit back with their own set of ads saying "There definitely is a God. So join the Christian Party and enjoy your life."

Source

Personally I am finding this all amusing.

I don't have a problem with either one of the adverts, but I use other forums and alot of people seem to be getting in a tizzy about it, both sides angry at the audacity of the other side, and the bus companies making a pretty packet as the two sides war with words.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Wow, this is going to turn into the world's longest "NO U!" match if they keep it up.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Wow, this is going to turn into the world's longest "NO U!" match if they keep it up.
    It reminds me of some arguements with my sister back as a kid:

Me: na uh fairies are real.
    Her: don't be stupid, faires aren't real
    Me: oh yes they are
    Her: Oh no they are not
    Me: oh yes they bloody well are, if you don't take that back I'm going to smack you
    Her: well they're not real, just grow up
    Me: smack

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Well, I've already heard for this. I must say that this is childish approach on both sides.
    But on the other hand this is what people like.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't understand people who will go on and on about something they have no control over. Another forum I belong to someone will post something outrageous about child abuse or murder and the thread will go on for pages with people ranting and raving about how horrible it is!

I guess that's entertainment!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It seems like the religious people and non-religious people have taken their fight to another battlefield.

Do people seriously have nothing better to think about than whether they believe in something unknowable or not? Just believe, or don't believe, and get on with your life already. Sorry, I've just seen too many people obsessing over it on both sides.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's too bad hereandnow isn't around to comment.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Today the Christian party have decided to hit back with their own set of ads saying "There definitely is a God. So join the Christian Party and enjoy your life."
    Weren't the atheist ones a reaction to another billboard essentially saying that "believe or burn in hell"? If so, the religious message reversal is... amusing. (In London, that is. The US groups are just irritated with the constant social markers, as far as I understand.)

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Weren't the atheist ones a reaction to another billboard essentially saying that "believe or burn in hell"? If so, the religious message reversal is... amusing. (In London, that is. The US groups are just irritated with the constant social markers, as far as I understand.)
    This is true, I had forgotten about that.

Well myself and a few others have complained, not about the ad itself, merely the wording.

"There is definately a god" where the atheist one was only allowed to say "probably". The advertising standards agency has rules that forbid anyone from advertising with certaintity something that they can not prove hence the requirement for the atheist campaign to state probably.

I don't have a problem like I said, I just prefer to see a fair and level playing field.