User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Default Drinking and Age

Is it meaningful to put an age minimum on alcohol consumption/purchase?

Seems it varies a lot around the world- from alcohol being completely illegal to it being completely legal, but for the most part the legal drinking age barrier is set at 16-21.

MBTI
    INxJ

Meaningful, not really. It's just a law. 18 seems reasonable to me, but teenagers seem to drink regardless.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

In Germany the law used to be "If you can see over the bar to order, then you can order a beer."

Now I think there is a limit though, like 16.

Honestly, I think anytime alcohol or other substances is made illegal then it is a breeding ground for lots of bad things. People will crave what is taboo. Organized crime made lots of money during prohibition.

I never drank during high school with any regularity, and I could have it purchased by my 10 year older brother whenever I wanted. I didn't smoke grass or do anything else either. In college I went silly for a little bit but whatever.

A drinking age is one concept, a safe drinking policy is another. How about if you're drunk and need to catch a cab home, you could do so even if you didn't have the cash at that moment to pay the cabby; you just get a bill based on your driver's license info?

Or, if you are under age 21 your car is outfitted with a breathalyzer that prohibits the car from turning on if you are 0.10 or over, and in return you get a discount on your auto policy? There has to be feedback loops (both negative and positive) in a culture's policy toward responsible drinking, whether for festivity or just for culinary indulgence.

Countries with less restrictive drinking laws than those of the U.S. have lower incidences of alcoholism and drunk driving!

MBTI
    yupp

why 21 for the breathalyzer thing I think it should be your car won't start if you're over the legal limit. And that saying "If you can see over the bar you can order a beer" reminds me of when my grandpa was a kid in West Virginia he told us growing up it was "If you can reach the pedals and see over the staring wheel you can drive" he learned how to drive when he was 9. I mean people are going to drink no matter what, especially teens.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    In Germany the law used to be "If you can see over the bar to order, then you can order a beer."
    My God! That's an awesome rule More beer for the people. There is no such thing as too much beer. I had my first when I was three! Beat that And I had banana liquor, cointreau, whiskey, gin and wine as early as eight. At the time I was twelve, I could pretty much get what I wanted. Didn't drink much, though. Maybe a beer served with a meal sometimes, especially at barbecues or abroad. At 14, however, I started partying. Loved it, and I still do

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    why 21 for the breathalyzer thing I think it should be your car won't start if you're over the legal limit. And that saying "If you can see over the bar you can order a beer" reminds me of when my grandpa was a kid in West Virginia he told us growing up it was "If you can reach the pedals and see over the staring wheel you can drive" he learned how to drive when he was 9. I mean people are going to drink no matter what, especially teens.
    Good point on the breathalyzer thing, being not just for age <= 21!

If alcohol is responsibly consumed in one's household, then there is less chance for transmitting bad behaviors to one's offspring, I think.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Good point on the breathalyzer thing, being not just for age <= 21!

If alcohol is responsibly consumed in one's household, then there is less chance for transmitting bad behaviors to one's offspring, I think.
    Agreed. Prohibition causes behavior to become more extreme. Much of the binge drinking you see on college campuses is due to the fact that they're not supposed to do it. It happens with narcotics users as well.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It's hard to believe the drinking age is 21 in the US. I was mostly done drinking (regularly) by that point.

It's 19 here, I think 16 or 18 would be better, but it's not really that big a deal, you can easily get it underage...
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    infp

It's 19 in some provinces (including mine), 18 in others. I think 18 is fine, but I don't really care that it's 19. Kids are going to be drinking anyway, and there isn't even neccesarily anything wrong with that. I'm 17 and I bet I'll be absolutely bored stiff of drinking by the time I'm 19, and even now I don't like it much any more. It is kind of hard to believe it's 21 in the states, I don't understand if there is any benefit to that.

I'm thinking of drinking mostly in the context of binge-drinking because there is no other context in which it is more dangerous and thus requires more laws.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

If you are old enough to die in your country's service...you're old enough to drink.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king