User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    In Germany the law used to be "If you can see over the bar to order, then you can order a beer."
    Discrimination, I say. I'm 4'10'', which means I might not be able to see over most bars.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Discrimination, I say. I'm 4'10'', which means I might not be able to see over most bars.

Platforms, big 'ol Elton John style platforms....
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    Platforms, big 'ol Elton John style platforms....
    Platforms... You can't seriously suggest that to a respectable INTJ.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yes

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Here in Belgium it's 16, but my 12 year old sister bought a beer for my dad in a night shop once. And lots of other teens who are younger than 16 can buy bear (and cigarettes) here from a night shop.

"We all have time to spend or waste, and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever. "-Bruce lee

Oberon

I, for one, don't want to raise children for whom alcoholic beverages are a forbidden novelty. That seems a recipe for disaster.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Yes, there should be a limit because alcohol can cause mental developmental issues during adolescence, all the way up to early 20s.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Yes, there should be a limit because alcohol can cause mental developmental issues during adolescence, all the way up to early 20s.
    Alcohol toxicity can produce brain damage and even death for anyone, of any age. Why isn't it simply outlawed?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Alcohol toxicity can produce brain damage and even death for anyone, of any age. Why isn't it simply outlawed?
    You know that brain damage and death is caused by immoderate consumption, which wasn't what I was talking about.

When the brain is still developing it is extraordinarily sensitive, and I take the better-safe-than-sorry attitude. If people decide to kill themselves with binge-drinking after they're fully grown, that's their decision, made with full adult cognitive ability.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Is it meaningful to put an age minimum on alcohol consumption/purchase?

Seems it varies a lot around the world- from alcohol being completely illegal to it being completely legal, but for the most part the legal drinking age barrier is set at 16-21.
    I'd say it's good to have, simply because it discourages people from getting addicted earlier in life. They can still get alcohol regardless of the law, but it's a deterrent, especially for the more compliant ones who are likely the ones they really care about protecting anyway.

Having an age limit rather than total prohibition effectively disinclines more of the adults from helping the kids get alcohol, and allows them to bask in a feeling of superiority that encourages them to help enforce the law. If we had total prohibition, it would be everyone who wants to drink vs. the government. This way, the adults and kids focus their envy/frustration each on other as they do on many other issues (since there's already an inclination towards cross-generational strife) while the government and law enforcement bow out of the picture.