User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Good point. Let's everybody go into further debt. Then we'll all be rich.
    That wasn't my point at all.

My point is that while there are consequences for what is happening, it is not nearly as bad as people are suggesting.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

All I can say is this... If things really get to the point where we have to make do with just surviving, I think we're better off just killing ourselves than trying to live in that world. I mean come on, it will be boring and disgusting and dirty. That kind of living has been done to death in so many places and times that there's nothing new to be learned from things getting like that again.

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah. That sounds about right. Headline:

"What killed civilation in the 2000s? Boredom."

Liquid, you have a false sense of security. It is actually much worse than you realize.

We can talk again in six months.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post

Yeah. That sounds about right. Headline:

"What killed civilation in the 2000s? Boredom."
    I'm... uhh, not kidding. I don't see any point in living if I can't have books, television, and/or internet access. Having to work hard to just stay alive and achieve no personal goals aside from that isn't worth doing.

If everything is reduced to struggling towards eating and sleeping... well, why stay alive for that? Take the next step, pare your needs down to nothing by ending your own existence. Seems reasonable enough.

MBTI
    INFP

You know what really is odd to me? Using a broken system to try to repair the system. No one seems to be able to figure out that we need something new. Our economists sound hopeful and confused from the ones I listen to on the radio. It's all a shot in the dark at this point.

We're being told to spend to improve the economy. But I stopped making major purchases as a regular habit years ago. We Boomers have pretty much everything we need and are trying to pare down the amount of material things we own. Spending for more stuff would be stupid for us. We already have more stuff than we know what to do with.

Middle class Boomers have been the stabilizing force behind the economy for decades now and it's not going to happen anymore. The generation coming behind us is so deep in debt that they aren't going to pick up the slack. They already bought too much too soon.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm... uhh, not kidding. I don't see any point in living if I can't have books, television, and/or internet access. Having to work hard to just stay alive and achieve no personal goals aside from that isn't worth doing.

If everything is reduced to struggling towards eating and sleeping... well, why stay alive for that? Take the next step, pare your needs down to nothing by ending your own existence. Seems reasonable enough.
    You're definitely a representative of your generation, Athenian.

I'll say more. It's all about things. . .

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    You're definitely a representative of your generation, Athenian.

I'll say more. It's all about things. . .
    I could survive with just one of those mediums, honestly.

The reason I wouldn't be satisfied with working towards an existence that consisted simply of base level survival, is this. I've learned a lot of things, learned how to process copious amounts of information, developed a hunger for it. I've experienced a world of endless possibility and communication. Going back to living like something slightly above an animal after having lived that way... I'm not willing to do it. It would be mental torture to spend the rest of my life looking back on a past that was so much better and more full of things to contemplate than the present, regretting all the things I never did when I had the chance. To be a being with such a multifaceted, complex mind stuck in a world where they can barely even use a fraction of it, and having once known something better. Don't you understand? Even death would offer more opportunity than life at that point.

Although now I'm curious... what kind of things?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    All I can say is this... If things really get to the point where we have to make do with just surviving, I think we're better off just killing ourselves than trying to live in that world. I mean come on, it will be boring and disgusting and dirty. That kind of living has been done to death in so many places and times that there's nothing new to be learned from things getting like that again.
    Can I have your stuff after you kill yourself?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

Somebody's gonna need to take some of my stuff while I sit bored waiting to die!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Can I have your stuff after you kill yourself?
    Sure, why not. But I don't see what good it will do you, considering there won't be anything to do except struggle to eat and sleep. None of my stuff helps with that.