User Tag List

First 56789 Last

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Lincoln, Washington, Adams etc.. all became symbolic and practically legendary, even while they were alive. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

If a politician can become popular within a democracy, they've earned it. A popular fascist is a completely different story.
    Most of them developed their symbolism through history though. Obama has already achieved it.

I'm not disputing his achievements so far, don't get me wrong. But he may be the most capitalized president in the history of our nation.

T-shirts? Posters? Children's books? Really? lol

During the time of John Adams presidential term, he was most unpopular. A perfect example of a reputation that was redeemed by history.

lol, and lets just say Lincoln wasn't the most popular guy either for obvious reasons. And thats on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line. Yet, in retrospect, he achieved much for our nation.

Washington was actually a good example, though. So I concede to Washington. That guy was badass.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Most of them developed their symbolism through history though. Obama has already achieved it.

During the time of John Adams presidential term, he was most unpopular.

lol, and lets just say Lincoln wasn't either.

Washington was actually your only good example. So I concede to Washington. That guy was badass.
    Symbolism followed the founding fathers around more so than with politicians today, with mass media. We have been seeing politicians in an increasingly human light. Citizens used to never even see their presidents. But being "more than men" figures wasn't a bad thing. Also, because Obama is black, he's a walking symbol. He can't help that.

and ugh, Washington is the least impressive out of those 3.

ByMySword

Cool

But being "more than men" figures wasn't a bad thing.
    Human light? I'm not sure I agree with that statement, entirely. We see what politicians want us to see. And what the media wants us to see, depending on who they're supporting, of course.

I've never thought of the Founding Fathers as more than men. And I disagree with anyone who does.

I will say that I have a profound respect for them, but from my research, they were very much flawed, and I don't agree with everything they believed.

Also, because Obama is black, he's a walking symbol. He can't help that.
    Thats exactly my point. You hit the nail on the head. Technically, Obama hasn't done anything besides being born what he is (something he had no control over) and being a very talented politician to use it to his advantage.

While historically, his achievement is worthy of praise, technically, he really had little control over it, so it shouldn't be attributed to the man, himself.

Of course, I know that can't happen, I'm just saying how I see it.

I have nothing against Obama "the man", and I hope he does well for our nation. I wouldn't be very patriotic if I said otherwise. And if he does great things for our nation, that will be an even bigger testament to this symbol that he has become......so......great for him. lol

But I won't say that I'm comfortable with some of the hero worship that I've seen. I'm sorry.

Bumper stickers, campaign signs, and decals are probably as far as I can go in support of a politician. And even then, I probably wouldn't. I don't feel a need.

Edit: Besides, bumper stickers are a bitch to get off and they always leave that residue. Ewww!!!

By history's standards......maybe.

Say that to US citizens during the early stages of the republic........you're likely to get tarred and feathered.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Strictly as a president, I could see you make that argument (though I would disagree), but when you consider what he did before his presidency, it's not even close. He's the single most irreplaceable figure in US history.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I kind of hate this thread because I think that this sentiment about Obama is creepy. But all the hating up there kind of makes me want to talk about Obama's inspirational and kind eyes.
    Would it have been "creepy" for me to call George W. Bush an idiot ten years ago, before he was even POTUS? Of course not.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Would it have been "creepy" for me to call George W. Bush an idiot ten years ago, before he was even POTUS? Of course not.
    I think that probably could have been inferred based on decisions he had made on the record.

Granted, I think Obama is awesome and that he'll do good things for the country, but I do think that all the hype and worship is just weird. The night of the meetup in Raleigh in December, we passed this building that had Obama's image projected on it. It was so weird and creepy. I bet Obama thinks so too.

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Thats exactly my point. You hit the nail on the head. Technically, Obama hasn't done anything besides being born what he is (something he had no control over) and being a very talented politician to use it to his advantage.
    Obama talks only rarely about race. He does not play the race card; others play it for him.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Obama talks only rarely about race. He does not play the race card; others play it for him.
    I don't think anyone has said thus far that he plays his race card. But I'll be honest, as a normal person, if people were suddenly all "Go Krys! Minority in Houston!" I'd be all " Hell yeah."

..And Gitmo smelled bad. As for my contribution to the thread.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't think anyone has said thus far that he plays his race card. But I'll be honest, as a normal person, if people were suddenly all "Go Krys! Minority in Houston!" I'd be all " Hell yeah."

..And Gitmo smelled bad. As for my contribution to the thread.

My comment was in response to someone saying that he "used it to his advantage." He benefited from it; I'm not sure that it's fair to say that he "used it" given his tendency not to bring it up very often.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My comment was in response to someone saying that he "used it to his advantage." He benefited from it; I'm not sure that it's fair to say that he "used it" given his tendency not to bring it up very often.
    I did not read through every post, my bad. but with that said!

I think it's unfair to say he didn't use it at all. It was part of his campaign. To change the white-president monopoly, even though he didn't say it like that. He used it to his advantage the way any other politician would use a card to theirs. Female runners imply that they will receive female votes just because they're the same gender. If Obama didn't get a single vote just because he was black I'll eat my hat right now.

But I do think it's unfair to complain about his advantages. His "I was just a poor black boy" spill did not win the election alone.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, he hasn't killed me, so no, he hasn't changed my life.