veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FantailedWall View Post
    Allow me to pray this was tongue-in-cheek.
    Why would you want to do that?

Yeah, see, amazingly enough, we actually have multiple opinions and viewpoints here in America. Unfortunately, in the general election, we only end up with two choices that actually have a chance to win. Governor Palin ran in 08 as a VP choice so it was her job to echo McCain's platform. So I would have to see what she would actually run on if she was at the top of the ticket. But I think I can safely say I would agree with her on more issues than Obama. She definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but if she was nominated, then I would definitely vote for her over Obama.

I don't think it will happen though. Richard Nixon was the last defeated VP candidate to actually run and win the presidency, and they don't tend to be the ones nominated. I think the last one to try was Mondale and we all know how that turned out.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pholiveira View Post
    Her nomination would show that the GOP still persists on the mistake of the Southern Strategy. Relying only on Jerry Fallwell's minions to provide you with the vote, in detriment to i.e. conservative intellectuals, isn't the smartest move.
    Don't believe everything you hear in the media. The GOP WINS elections when they run as conservatives. When they try to sound like democrats and make Santa Claus promises, then they lose. It's happened over and over again.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I definitely hope she runs. But I bet Romney gets the nomination.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Her nomination would show that the GOP still persists on the mistake of the Southern Strategy.
    True, and maybe that's (part of) why she was Vice Presidential candidate instead of Presidential. McCain was the Presidential candidate, and he's less of a social conservative. After Bush, I guess they had to take the focus off that group. So you had one of each "kind."

Except now Palin's gotten popular with some Republicans, so it may not be as easy to keep her relegated to some lower candidacy next time she runs (if she runs).
    Last edited by Cimarron; 01-27-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: show my response
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Don't believe everything you hear in the media. The GOP WINS elections when they run as conservatives. When they try to sound like democrats and make Santa Claus promises, then they lose. It's happened over and over again.
    Most people are moderates. Where does the GOP win elections with distinctly conservative candidates? Some places in the South (where moderate Democrats are strong - see Arkansas, Louisiana before Jindal) and in the Heartland? These are electoral niches, just like the Pacific coast and New England for the libs.

The major fact is where *else* can they get the vote, because if you run a candidate so much to the right as Palin is, you're safe on your stronghold but can't really dare to attack the neutral field.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Allow me to pray this was tongue-in-cheek.

Shush, let's pick their brains -- the dissection is underway!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    But I think I can safely say I would agree with her on more issues than Obama. She definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but if she was nominated, then I would definitely vote for her over Obama.
    May I ask what policies in particular of hers you agree with, at least moreso than Obama?
    Just out of curiosity. Always willing to hear an alternative viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Shush, let's pick their brains -- the dissection is underway!
    Alright, I'm game

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

May I ask what policies in particular of hers you agree with, at least moreso than Obama?
    Just out of curiosity. Always willing to hear an alternative viewpoint.
    Of course, you can always ask me anything.

Like I said, she ran on McCain's platform not her own personal one, so my knowledge of her personal views is more limited, and she doesn't have a long record to look at, but then Obama established this year that a long record is not necessary to get elected.

But the biggest one would be the pro-life issue. Palin's been pretty consistent in opposing abortion, while Obama went so far as to support abortion outside the womb while he was a state senator in Illinois. Second, Palin is for cutting income taxes, Obama is for raising them. Third, Palin is not in favor of a federal government-run health care system, Obama is. I don't know how strongly Palin believes in scaling back the size and power of the federal government, but if she's in favor of even incremental steps in that direction, then she is loads better than Obama who wants to grow federal government size and power at an even more alarming rate than the Bush administration did.

Those are just a few things, though pretty important things. I'm sure if I went through a list issue by issue, it would be no contest, even though I'm sure there would be things I disagreed with Palin on.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Palin would be a breath of fresh air over politicians who know how to fool people, haha.
    It's funny - I was arguing along a similar vein with someone from my work a while back. (Though I took the opposite stance)
    She said "Well, at least with Palin you see her practicing what she preaches - what you see is what you get, therefore making her better than some of the other politicians where you don't know what to expect, which policy they'll uphold." (She was referring to things like her pro-life stance and her standing by her 17-year-old daughters choice, having a disabled child even with the knowledge that he'd be born disabled, etc - as examples)
    Me "Uhh...ok. Thing is - I don't agree with what she preaches, nor do I like what I see. I'd prefer to 'lucky dip' so to speak than go with someone I know goes against my value system. It makes no sense to do otherwise. Thus rendering your argument redundant, in my instance at the very least."

MBTI
    IxTP

I'm more a libertarian than a republican, but no, I would not support a Palin ticket. The best shot the GOP has at winning the 2012 presidential race (assuming economy is still a major issue by then, which, judging by Barack's plans, it will be) is Romney. Had Romney won the GOP nomination (which he definitely could've) I think this election very well could have gone to the republicans. Even if Romney had been the VP candidate it would've made things a lot more interesting. Anyway, point is, if the GOP actually, you know, wants to win, Palin isn't the answer.