User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 29

  1. #1
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default WWII Veteran Freezes to Death

    This is totally outrageous. What are your thoughts? I am disgusted that this sort of thing is allowed to take place in any country, let alone ours.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  2. #2
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    The thing that shocks me more is the quote almost says that if the guy had died of something other than hypothermia then the behaviour of the power company would have been okay.

    It's just goes to show there's little socialism in the capitalist's kingdom.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #3
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The thing that shocks me more is the quote almost says that if the guy had died of something other than hypothermia then the behaviour of the power company would have been okay.

    It's just goes to show there's little socialism in the capitalist's kingdom.
    I agree. Also apparently according to L, this sort of thing happens in the UK as well? I'd be interested in hearing some solutions for electric companies in regards to not shutting off people's power.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    I don't know much about this subject, but here in MN we've had a law that the power can't be shut off during a certain period of time during the year due to cold weather.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  5. #5
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I don't know much about this subject, but here in MN we've had a law that the power can't be shut off during a certain period of time during the year due to cold weather.
    It's the same in France.

    It is illegal to shut off power or to expell people out of their homes during the cold months (not before April).
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  6. #6
    12 and a half weeks BerberElla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I agree. Also apparently according to L, this sort of thing happens in the UK as well?
    Yes it does, I've read about it quite a few times in the papers. The government give cold weather payments for low income people, it's no where near enough to keep a house heated, and it's not regular, it's dependent on wether it goes below freezing point for so many days in a row. Then it's a payment of 25 pound.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

    DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

    Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

  7. #7
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I agree. Also apparently according to L, this sort of thing happens in the UK as well? I'd be interested in hearing some solutions for electric companies in regards to not shutting off people's power.
    Nationalisation.

    If combined with decent managers it shouldn't result in too much inefficiency.

    Besides this whole "competition is good for the consumer" doesn't seem to be working so good recently. It's okay for the consumer only as long as the competitors are on even footings. As soon as one gets too big to bother, it all goes a little bit sideways.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  8. #8
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    My thoughts are: Yeah the company's a dick, but if I'm 93 and don't give a damn I'm freezing to death (or unable to do anything about it), then It's time for me to get the fuck off this rock.

    Sometimes it just helps to put things in perspective is all. My ISTP dad said once he starts losing his memory, he's gonna get a bomb put under his bed. The clock will be set for 24 hours, and the day that he forgets to reset that fucker..... BOOM, game over man.

    Maybe I'm more jaded than y'all but I don't want to live to 93 :p or whatever age it is that I begin to become decrepit.


    EDIT: You will notice I completely disregard the fact that he was a veteran, here. This is because if anyone knows the value in being useful, it's a soldier/warrior-type.

  9. #9
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    It should not have happened. There was a special on TV here at the beginning of winter that there are so many people who ask for money for heating during the winter there just isn't any way to pay for all of it or something similar.

    It is possible the company might not have known about his age/veteran status and that they expect people would do something about it instead of freezing to death. That is a huge bill to not be paying.

    It's very sad, I'm sure things will change because of it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member nottaprettygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    My thoughts are: Yeah the company's a dick, but if I'm 93 and don't give a damn I'm freezing to death (or unable to do anything about it), then It's time for me to get the fuck off this rock.

    Sometimes it just helps to put things in perspective is all. My ISTP dad said once he starts losing his memory, he's gonna get a bomb put under his bed. The clock will be set for 24 hours, and the day that he forgets to reset that fucker..... BOOM, game over man.

    Maybe I'm more jaded than y'all but I don't want to live to 93 :p or whatever age it is that I begin to become decrepit.

    .
    The age that he lived to (and the age that you want to live to) is sort of irrelevant. Just because you want to die at a younger age, doesn't mean that he felt the same way.

    You're not "putting things into perspective" as much as you are forcing your own values about the worth of elderly people onto the story.

Similar Threads

  1. White Women Drinking themselves to death
    By SearchingforPeace in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 05-01-2017, 02:17 AM
  2. Egyptian court sentences Muslim Brotherhood leader to death
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 06:51 PM
  3. Pregnant Wife in Sudan Sentenced to Death for... Apostasy
    By Totenkindly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM
  4. couple lets baby starve to death while caring for virtual child
    By velocity in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 12:11 AM
  5. [Other] Si-ing you to death!
    By Little Linguist in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO