The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I agree. Also apparently according to L, this sort of thing happens in the UK as well?

Like 25,000 every winter according to our government, I see no reason for them to lie on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing some solutions for electric companies in regards to not shutting off people's power.

Not charging different prices for pre-payment customers (what we would call Direct debit in the Uk) and those who pay by cash and cheque, as most of the poorest member of society can't afford to pay automatically by credit card.

There should be mandatory 'social tariffs' that ensure the poorest households get the cheapest energy rates from energy suppliers.

Making it illegal for energy suppliers to cut off energy, at present it is technically illegal to force them to do so as it would break competition rules. To my knowledge companies can agree to do it individually, but the can't agree with each other to do so or be forced to do so by the government. I could not care less about competition rules to be honest; this is real life we are talking about, not some board game of monopoly after all. In fact, some companies do have 'safety net' policies like that to make sure vulnerable customers are not disconnected; sadly they seem to be the minority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    You're not "putting things into perspective" as much as you are forcing your own values about the worth of elderly people onto the story.

Hey, I'm not "Forcing" the rules and laws of good mother nature onto anyone, I'm just delivering the message: Sometimes, it's just time for you to die whether you feel like you want to or not.

I'm not saying he should've died if that's what you're thinking. Fine/sue the company, whatever great.... but hell, you have to ask yourself how healthy was this guy, honestly? At what point in losing X, Y and Z due to age would you rather just be dead? And exactly how far are others supposed to bend and change their course because you can't take care of yourself?

These are the things I'm openly asking because they're going to become a lot more prudent to ask in the next century, at least! For some of us, dignity of life means not being a burden to others.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Thats a hot trikot !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Nothing new. The government has never given two shits about the troops, republican and democrat governments alike. You'd think that the government would repay veterans by paying for their basic needs after all they had gone through for the country, but nope, they are just used and thrown away like an old pair of shoes...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Nothing new. The government has never given two shits about the troops, republican and democrat governments alike. You'd think that the government would repay veterans by paying for their basic needs after all they had gone through for the country, but nope, they are just used and thrown away like an old pair of shoes...
    What the hell are you talking about? Have you never heard of the G.I. Bill?

I think it's too bad this guy froze to death, that's gotta suck. But I think it's stupid and wrong to be so quick to find someone to blame with such little information. People aren't morally entitled to electricity.
    I don't wanna!

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Have you never heard of the G.I. Bill?
    I remember it vaguely, it had something to do with making sure that the economy stayed on track by giving veterans good loans after WWII right? Don't want to search wiki right now :/ Basically what I mean is that I don't think enough has been done in the past and is being done now, ideally it could be much better.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My power got shut off on New Year's Eve 2007. And the power company was closed New Year's day, so we couldn't get it back on til the 2nd.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Nationalisation.

If combined with decent managers it shouldn't result in too much inefficiency.

Besides this whole "competition is good for the consumer" doesn't seem to be working so good recently. It's okay for the consumer only as long as the competitors are on even footings. As soon as one gets too big to bother, it all goes a little bit sideways.
    Most utilities have government sanctioned monopolies. There is no competition. So to say this is a failure of capitalism is complete and utter BS. It's so freaking annoying that every time something happens that people don't like, their first complaint is about how capitalism sucks.

A neighbor who lives across the street from Schur is angered that the city didnĺt personally notify the elderly man about his utility situation.
    Wtf? The guy was $1000 behind on his utility bill. If this guy needed to be notified, he wasn't mentally fit to be living alone. And if he was mentally fit, then he was an idiot. Regardless, it's not the state's responsibility to baby sit this guy, anyway. It sucks that he died, but that's reality. Trying to make society idiot proof will hurt us in the long run.
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Most utilities have government sanctioned monopolies. There is no competition. So to say this is a failure of capitalism is complete and utter BS. It's so freaking annoying that every time something happens that people don't like, their first complaint is about how capitalism sucks.
    Not so in my case you'll note. It is rare that I ever engage on political subjects due to an abject hatred of the concept itself, nevermind the people more ill fitted to continuing in this life that the poor bloke who froze to death.

YOUR lot may sanction monopolies, so what?

If you can't achieve the size required to become a candidate for it then you fail and to win I'd theorise that you're already one step shy of a monopoly.

Chicken and the egg will follow shortly.
    Wtf? The guy was $1000 behind on his utility bill. If this guy needed to be notified, he wasn't mentally fit to be living alone. And if he was mentally fit, then he was an idiot. Regardless, it's not the state's responsibility to baby sit this guy, anyway. It sucks that he died, but that's reality. Trying to make society idiot proof will hurt us in the long run.
    Intelligence is not a prerequisite for life nor rights. Otherwise the roads would be safer and you'd still have a queen ( )
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Intelligence is not a prerequisite for life nor rights. Otherwise the roads would be safer and you'd still have a queen ( )
    And here's where we would fall into a debate regarding positive and negative rights.
    "We grow up thinking that´╗┐ beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are´╗┐ easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of´╗┐ a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."