User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP

If Pelosi wants to subsidize birth control, she should attempt to do it through the regular budget. Including it within a separate "economic stimulus" package is dishonest and irresponsible.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post

You understand what I'm getting at right? Even with technological advancement, population growth must be halted, and that process must begin Now.
    Population growth is a problem in some countries, but not the United States; in other countries, population decline is a problem (the United States is just about the only advanced country with a healthy, i.e stable, rate of natural population growth). Economic modernization leads to decreased fertility and increased urbanization, so the best way to combat detrimental population growth is economic modernization within poor countries. Unfortunately, sustainable economic growth can only be achieved through the slow refinement of formal and informal institutions in the poor countries themselves, so outside intervention is little help at best, and highly detrimental at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Erudur View Post
    I now use phrases like this to identify those who have no idea what they are talking about.
    Lol, this is a ludicrous assumption. If you looked deeper into the context of the quote you would understand that I did not delve deeper into the subject (hence putting it in parenthesis) because I would be committing a red herring fallacy, because the topic at hand was exponential population growth and the affect of technology on populations. Both Risen and I established our stances on that topic and both understood that it was a different debate entirely. If I had wanted to bring up climate change seriously, I would have stated my hypothesis and gathered the evidence in support of my position, however I did not because as I mentioned before it was irrelevant to what was being discussed. Also, I understand the counter-arguments to human-influenced climate change, I used to be quite a skeptic of climate change myself. I hope that clears things up.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Population growth is a problem in some countries, but not the United States; in other countries, population decline is a problem (the United States is just about the only advanced country with a healthy, i.e stable, rate of natural population growth). Economic modernization leads to decreased fertility and increased urbanization, so the best way to combat detrimental population growth is economic modernization within poor countries. Unfortunately, sustainable economic growth can only be achieved through the slow refinement of formal and informal institutions in the poor countries themselves, so outside intervention is little help at best, and highly detrimental at worst.
    I would argue that the population growth rate in the US could still be improved but I do acknowledge that it is fairly good relative to other post-industrialized nations. I also agree with your other points. After a country becomes modernized it is no longer necessary to keep fertility rates high in order to raise income for families (modernizing countries take the approach that more children = more jobs = more income = higher standard of living). The problem is that some of these countries are rushing much too fast in their quest for modernization and are causing a lot of harm in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Lol, this is a ludicrous assumption. If you looked deeper into the context of the quote you would understand that I did not delve deeper into the subject (hence putting it in parenthesis) because I would be committing a red herring fallacy, because the topic at hand was exponential population growth and the affect of technology on populations. Both Risen and I established our stances on that topic and both understood that it was a different debate entirely. If I had wanted to bring up climate change seriously, I would have stated my hypothesis and gathered the evidence in support of my position, however I did not because as I mentioned before it was irrelevant to what was being discussed. Also, I understand the counter-arguments to human-influenced climate change, I used to be quite a skeptic of climate change myself. I hope that clears things up.
    I remember that you were a skeptic about climate change. However I am curious about why did you soften your position when it comes to this topic.
    If you don't mind telling.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    ...I wonder what mentality she possesses that would motivate her to support such a thing. Or perhaps she's just pandering to special interest groups as ALL politicians do. sigh.
    Or maybe she strongly believes in whatever solutions she's passing around... just as you strongly believe in what you are saying and consider yourself sincere despite what others might be thinking of your opinion due to its extremity.

I think the reason we fight so much in general in our current culture is because people are too quick to be cynical of other people's motives and thinking. (Kind of hard to dialog and come to some sort of resolution in situations like that.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    (the United States is just about the only advanced country with a healthy, i.e stable, rate of natural population growth)
    That's because it is essentially the bridge between the domestic first world and second world.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Or maybe she strongly believes in whatever solutions she's passing around... just as you strongly believe in what you are saying and consider yourself sincere despite what others might be thinking of your opinion due to its extremity.
    I think she honestly believes her stance is "right". She sees herself as a mother for the country, in a sense. She'll do whatever she believes needs to be done because it's "for our own good".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I think she honestly believes her stance is "right". She sees herself as a mother for the country, in a sense. She'll do whatever she believes needs to be done because it's "for our own good".
    Precisely. She is admirably fulfilling her duty as a liberal democrat, which is to tranorm the goernment into the ultimate hellicopter parent/nanny state. I don't know about you Jen, but I already have one mother, and I sure as hell don't want to suffer having another. Pelosi is a dumb ass, in my opinion. in any case, obama kickeded this stupid shit out of the bill for ''not something that would stimulate the economy''.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

This thread is moronic.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so