User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    LOL, want to improve the US economy? Quit sending our jobs overseas.
    In order to solve this problem, you first have to understand why jobs are sent overseas. And if I hear someone say "because business owners greedy" I'm going to slap them.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    In order to solve this problem, you first have to understand why jobs are sent overseas. And if I hear someone say "because business owners greedy" I'm going to slap them.
    I know! Because labor is cheaper in foreign markets!
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    It's more complicated than that, but that's part of it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's more complicated than that, but that's part of it.
    I see. What else is there?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ISTP

LOL, want to improve the US economy? Quit sending our jobs overseas.
    As lowtech said, this is probably the best way to ensure that the US economy worsens over the long run (and is unlikely to help in the short run).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    So why not pay for birth control and birth control education? If every child is a wanted child, whose parents made a conscious decision to be parents and have some commitment to their role, wouldn't that be better than people just randomly conceiving with zero intent, ability or resources to parent?
    I'm all for birth control, notably available for the poor - simply because in systems where being poor is a disadvantage, their children inherent less social capital (ie: education, etc) in which they contribute back to society. Such is the price of a lack of social justice.

heart on fire

Don't confuse the issue with common sense.

I am sure we can all clearly see how eventually becoming a nation of telemarketers trying to sell each other imported goods helps strenghten the nation.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Taxes, tariffs, shipping costs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

This...

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Based on what I know, the problems here with being "overpayed" and jobs going oversees has a lot to do with the fact that this nation has the highest business taxes in the world, and the fact that our worker unions are like parasites that suck the blood (money) out of American companies. Businesses contract workers oversees so they can avoid the high costs of having workers in the U.S., from the high taxes and other gov regulations on business. In addition, their workers wont be part of any unions. It's a win win for business since they can avoid all the hassles, but it bites Americans in the ass. One solution would be to simply deregulate and lower taxes on our businesses so they wont have the strong incentive to ship jobs oversees. However, this wont solve the monstrous union problem. Companies like GM would STILL be paying their assembly line workers $80 an hour (over twice what other auto makers have to pay their workers) because of the parasitic unions and their contracts.

MBTI
    ISTP

Don't confuse the issue with common sense.

I am sure we can all clearly see how eventually becoming a nation of telemarketers trying to sell each other imported goods helps strenghten the nation.
    I think this topic is covered pretty well in first year economics, although I can understand why it seems counter intuitive at first. It took me a bit to accept that there are no conditions where it is not true. But as a result, I get to say - don't confuse common sense with accuracy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Actually, the "buy American" provisions in the "stimulus" package are perhaps the most self-defeating aspects of it; it will make production much more expensive, hurting the production capacity of American businesses and therefore their ability to compete internationally, not to mention setting off trade wars is just about the worst thing you can do during a global recession. To his credit, Obama himself has noted this; the political battles on this issue, both within and between the different branches of government, will be interesting.
    Canada, China, and other countries including Europeans are bitching quite a lot about our stimulus bill. A LOT. I believe it has to do with claims of "protectionism" with our steel industry?