User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Solution to California finanical woes; Legalize prostitution

LA Celebrity Gossip Examiner: Solution to California finanical woes; Legalize pot and prostitution

Solution to California finanical woes; Legalize pot and prostitution
    12 comments
    January 25, 3:53 AM
    by Tiffany Warner, LA Celebrity Gossip Examiner
    « Previous
    Next »

Should marijuana be legalized in California?
    Since moving to Los Angeles last year, I'm constantly bombarded with the question, "Do you smoke (marijuana)?" I was initially surprised at how the question transcends age, sex and race. It seems everyone in California smokes pot.

I found the question pretty comedic and still do. What's even funnier, some financial experts' unconventional proposal of legalizing pot and prostitution to assist in solving California's financial woes.

The proposal might make sense on paper but is it morally right?

According to KCAL 9 News, "Some financial experts in California are toying with the idea of legalizing both prostitution and marijuana as a way to raise revenue and shrink the state's current $41 billion deficit." (View news story below.)

David Lazarus, financial columnist for the Los Angeles Times, admits both pot smoking and prostitution are very popular "sins" in the state. If legalized and taxed, they could generate millions or even billions in extra revenue for California.

So what do you think? Should California legalize marijuana and prostitution?
    I come home after long 10 hour days, and have to hear stories like this. Now... while it would be nice to be able to pick up some hookers legally (I mean, lets face it, what better way is there to de-stress and wind down from a long day?) here, I have to say that I would like to leave the state if this turns into a serious proposal/solution to the state's problems. Fecking ridiculous.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I've wanted to legalize these things before this huge financial crisis started. Not that I would utilize them... I just don't think that these activities should be criminal offenses. Though it does make me uneasy that the only reason this is being questioned now is to make money...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Do you really want to get laid that bad?

MBTI
    INTJ

I feel that keeping them illegal is more morally reprehensible than legalizing them. Gambling is "immoral" too until the government controls or legalizes it, then it's magically ok.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Good. This will also reduce crime rates, murder rates, and free thousands of harmless people from prison. What exactly is there to lose?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Though it does make me uneasy that the only reason this is being questioned now is to make money...
    That's my point. Not only is it bad enough that they would be legalizing whoring yourself out, but the government would be doing it TO EARN TAX MONEY to cover for their own reprehensible governance and corruption, CAUSED the mess we are in. Sure, it all crashed through the ceiling due to the global economic crisis that descended upon us all, but we are in an especially shitty economic situation because of their complete lack of competence, virtue, and integrity (talking about CA state government). There is a big (many big ones really) reason why we dolling out IOU's and completely out of money, while other states like Texas still have a budget surplus. Then to levy the effects of their transgressions, upon the people of the state, by profiteering off of prostitution just disgusts the hell out of me to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I feel that keeping them illegal is more morally reprehensible than legalizing them. Gambling is "immoral" too until the government controls or legalizes it, then it's magically ok.
    The people who compare gambling, sex and drug use are comparing apples, oranges, and bananas. They have ENTIRELY different sets of social issues around them. I've never seen any logical reason for gambling to be immoral, because if you lose your money to bright flashy slot machines like a dumb ass, then that is your choice. Feeding your money to the slot machines and indians at the cost of your family's welfare, on the other hand, is when it might be considered immoral for reasons I shouldn't have to explain...

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Do you really want to get laid that bad?
    If you're talking to me, then you didn't pick up the sarcasm.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I've never seen any logical reason for gambling to be immoral, because if you lose your money to bright flashy slot machines like a dumb ass, then that is your choice. Feeding your money to the slot machines and indians at the cost of your family's welfare, on the other hand, is when it might be considered immoral for reasons I shouldn't have to explain...
    How is that any different from drug use or prostitution? Anything in excess could be harmful. They have as many things in common as they have differences.

Furthermore, alcohol is far worse for society than prostitution, gambling, and marijuana could ever hope to be.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    How is that any different from drug use or prostitution? Anything in excess could be harmful. They have as many things in common as they have differences.

Furthermore, alcohol is far worse for society than prostitution, gambling, and marijuana could ever hope to be.
    Because when you analyze them they have different overall effects on the individual, people around the individual, and society as a whole. Drug use can be similar to gambling when taken to an addictive level, and similar to most other addictions. I agree, anything taken to excess is pretty much harmful, but isn't legalizing and institutionalizing (for tax revenue) something like prostitution (in what I could argue is already an over sexualized society) opening the flood gates for further excess? And it's not even so much the prostitution itself that I find so offensive, it's the total reasoning behind it that I explained above that makes blood shoot out of my eyes.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think prostitution is a good thing, but I would prefer to have it legalized then have pimps out there slapping their imported Ukranian hoes.

MBTI
    INFP

Good idea, Meta. We could dress them in really sexy uniforms and call them the Whore Corps. Make it really patriotic. Make up some motto, like, "A Woman a Day Saves the USA."

Then at Inaguration time we could have a, er, ball for them all.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer