User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTj

I don't see what the big deal is. Language evolves just like everything else. I feel more comfortable using gender neutral pronouns.

But maybe I'm just one of those feminist bitches that JocktheMotie was referring to.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think this issue has only become one because of a small number of rather pointless and ill-informed individuals getting their knickers/male undergarments in a twist about wholly irrelevant issues of word usage because of their inability/unwillingness to do anything which would make any difference in the real world. Sadly they've somehow managed to convince society as a whole to follow suit, but I suppose we are stuck with it now that most people are so self-conscious about the issue.

I find "he/she" etc unnervingly pedantic and cumbersome, and "their" ungrammatical, but to write anything else when refering to a person of unspecified gender these days (or to write "she" for a ship, country, etc, as used to be the convention) has become tantamount to a political statement in itself these days, and I'm really not sure I care enough most of the time to bother making one. For practical purposes we will probably ultimately settle on "their", and forget that it was purely a plural form in time. We switched to the plural, relatively impersonal form "You" a long time ago now, after all. And who notices or even cares any more?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I use Hir and Ze online sometimes if I dont know someones gender and can't be bothered finding out.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

^ I'm just not KEEWL enough, it seems...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I find "their" ungrammatical, but to write anything else when refering to a person of unspecified gender these days has become tantamount to a political statement in itself these days, and I'm really not sure I care enough most of the time to bother making one.
    That's a main part of why it's annoying.
    For practical purposes we will probably ultimately settle on "their", and forget that it was purely a plural form in time.
    Most people already have, so why not go along with it? As you said, language changes naturally over time, and democratically.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ

I really enjoy it when we look more at the spelling of the word and it's multiple meanings than the intended meaning and context.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

^ I'm just not KEEWL enough, it seems...
    I recommend not using it so much irl, people don't tend to like being called hir when they're standing in front of you

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Most people already have who do not care about language usage, are timid, influenced by false ideology, or badly informed, so why not go along with it? Resistance to majority opinion is futile. As you said, language changes naturally over time, and democratically.
    Fixed

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Well, what does it really matter? As long as we can communicate effectively, isn't language serving its purpose? And if it's more effective to go with the flow, why not do it?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Well, what does it really matter? As long as we can communicate effectively, isn't language serving its purpose? And if it's more effective to go with the flow, why not do it?
    Sure, which is why in this case at least I generally do I find the recent sabotage of several hundred years' worth of traditional English usage by an entirely false and misguided ideology more than a little sad, however. Besides which, I do not regard the mere fact that other people choose to do a certain thing en masse as being an unanswerable reason for following, sheeplike, in their footsteps, just to save trouble for myself. But in this case, the English language does actually lack a third person personal singular pronoun (hope I've got that right, I'm nearly asleep at this time of night) and it is probably easier to adapt an existing word than coin a new one, so I have no particular objection to it happening naturally.

I have got more important battles to fight, such as the reintroduction of the second person familiar forms thee and thou into the English language. We currently lack any way to differentiate the way one addresses one's close friends, one's family, one's god, etc from anyone else, and thus a level of intimacy and depth in communication possible in most of the world's other major languages has been lost. I trust thou seest this is a worthy endeavour