User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal

Yeah, this kind of solidifies my thoughts that Obama just doesn't back the troops. A little scary, considering he's our commander in chief in a time of conflict. To do something like this, isn't that an arrogant and clear message?

Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years | Cleveland Leader

Barack Obama may have stumbled over his words briefly during his inauguration, but he made an even bigger blunder later Tuesday evening. The newly sworn-in President opted not to appear at what should have been one of the most important Balls on his agenda that evening - The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball was begun in 1953 for President Dwight Eisenhower's inauguration. The event recognized recipients of the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award. There were 48 Medal of Honor recipients in attendance, who were undoubtedly disappointed by the Commander-in-Chief's failure to show. Over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has skipped this event - until now.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball is sponsored by the American Legion, and co-sponsored by 13 other veteran's service organizations, including those such as the Paralyzed Veterans of America and the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

Instead of attending this ball honoring our nation's heroes, Obama was busy making stops at 10 other official balls. Obama and his wife's first stop was at the Neighborhood Ball. From there they went to the Home State Ball for Illinois and Hawaii, the Commander-in-Chief Ball, the Youth Inaugural Ball, and the Home State Ball for Delaware and Pennsylvania. They finished off the night with brief appearances at the Mid-Atlantic, Western, Midwest, Eastern, and Southern regional Balls.

Celebrities were a plenty at the balls, with Stevie Wonder, Shakira, Mary. J. Blige, Faith Hill, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, will.i.am, Sting, Mariah Carey, and Leonardo DiCaprio in attendance at the Neighborhood Ball. In addition, the other nine balls also featured a star-studded lineup including Kanye West and Kid Rock at the Youth Ball, Marc Anthony at the Western Ball, and Cheryl Crow at the Western Ball.

It was the party without all of the celebrities that Obama skipped. The very people who he sought to have support him during his candidacy and campaign, who have fought to protect this country, were snubbed in favor of publicity and the opportunity to rub shoulders - yet again - with the out-of-touch Hollywood elite.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

To be quite honest, as the leader of the free world, I have much more important things to do than to waste time at ceremonies. This seems fabricated and irrelevant. To look at his absence as a conscious snub or veiled jab at the troops is silly. The President is not a cheerleader.

MBTI
    ISTx

^Did you read the article and look at the balls he did attend? The first president to avoid this particular ball... I don't see that as being a mere slip of the brain or something.

I expect our president to be a "cheerleader" at a ceremony where troops are awarded Medals of Honor and stuff...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The cynicism gets old.

Before I started judging someone's motivations or intent, I'd look at the Big Picture of what their responsibilities and obligations were at the time, what they were trying to balance, and frankly what they could handle. That's just something I've had to learn over the last number of years; you can't please everyone, and you can't realistically do everything.

It's pretty adult to make hard decisions about how to best spend one's energy when you know you're going to get sniped at by people from various special interest groups. (For example, picking Rick Warren for the Inaugural Prayer... when he would get sniped both by the liberals AND the conservatives for that decisions -- but he did it because ultimately it was a bridge-building move and thus the focus on his administration, rather than running from criticism.)

Considering the character he's shown elsewhere, I doubt him not showing up was because he's unpatriotic or doesn't care. I take the bitching more as a sign that some people don't trust him, so his motives will ALWAYS be suspect regardless of what he does or does not do... and why should a responsible adult cater to that sort of mentality?

Time will reveal everything, either way.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I expect our president to be a "cheerleader" at a ceremony where troops are awarded Medals of Honor and stuff...
    I expect the President to be responsible for carrying out his job to the best of his ability, and prioritize his time based on the information he has to work with and what the needs of the moment are. That's why we elected him, and that's what we pay him to do.

It's no different than for a CEO or anyone else in a position where there's not enough energy or time to do everything that needs to be done.

My INTJ boss used to be an incorrigible micromanager, until he realized that was counter-productive. Instead, he said, "If I trusted you enough to hire you, then I trust you know how to do your job, and I'll get off your back." That's sort of how I see this... except obviously 45% or so trusted the other guy more, so I guess this explains why they didn't want to trust Obama and find it easy to criticize situations where they don't have all the information yet.

There's also a lot of irony here: Democrats were told to trust Bush and that "he knows stuff we don't" , "he's president, he has lots of decisions to make," etc. Why the double standard already? People are just so inconsistent.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Did you guys read the quote?

I agree with other NTs. He definitively has better things to do.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think that he probably should have attended if he was able, considering how important it was to people. But if he had something more important to do at that time, then I don't think such a big deal should be made of it.

I think considering every other President had attended, he could have made an appearance. But I would never take his failure to show as a deliberate statement about his attitude toward the troops...to me, it stretches credulity to suggest that he doesn't care. A more likely reason is that the dude went to TEN other balls in one night, and I'm sure this wasn't the only one he skipped. Scheduling snafu? Probably. Subtle dig? Pretty unlikely. Confirmation bias might be at work here.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Did you guys read the quote?
    I did, and I still feel unphased. If there's any reason Obama should have gone, it would be to avoid reports like this.

So it might have been a mistake, but so what? I cannot imagine it being a calculated message. Why would Obama be against the troops? Who actually is? And if he was, you'd almost think he'd be determine to show up there, to hide that. I just can't read anything into this. The articles cliche reference to Hollywood elites just makes it seem even sillier. Against the troops, for out Hollywood... Ugh. When are they going to come up with a new line of attack?
    Go to sleep, iguana.