User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Antisocial, why is it even necessary to ask? Look at what happened and see what a shame it is...
    Well I just wanted to hear personal opinion even if I was quite sure that I know what she will say.

As I said before in the thread. In the case that he actaully came, that would probably be even worse political move.

The thing is that he has to go against rhetoric of the ex president on almost all ways possible since US is more dependent upon opinion of the world then ever.

Does someone knows what that people actually do to earn a Medal of Honour?

Answering this quistion could place a new light on what has happend.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The significance of this seems more symbolic than real. Like when people complained when Obama didn't wear the American flag lapel pin. Big deal.....
    It's real when you consider that everything else that Obama has done since inauguration has been symbolic. It shows his values.
    I don't wanna!

Quote Originally Posted by Erudur View Post
    Second, the President has an official position of leadership over these soldiers, Commander in Chief. And this group represents probably the only group that made an oath to obey the president's orders--the kind of orders that risked their lives in the first place. Its really simple people, Obama is the top military leader.

All the choices he did make look like ass-kissing choices. Attendance for this one was probably his only responsibility that evening.
    Regarding the bolded part, I'm sure you meant:

All Most of the choices he did make look like ass-kissing choices. Attendance for this one was probably his only responsibility that evening.
    As helpfully supplied by Hirsch63 in a previous post; all the balls he did attend:
    Inaugural Balls 2009 - A Guide to Inaugural Balls and Galas

with one being ....
    Commander-in-Chief's Inaugural Ball
    The ball is in honor of the country's active duty and reserve military. Invited guests included wounded warriors (Purple Heart recipients), families of fallen heroes, and spouses of deployed military. Tickets were provided free of charge to all invited guests. This event was not open to the general public. It was broadcast to American troops around the world on the Pentagon Channel, which is available via cable on 368 military bases and on commercial cable and satellite services throughout the United States.

I'd say, according to your criteria, the Commander-in-Chief did attend that ball.

Is USA primarily supposed to be represented by its military? What makes the military triump all of a president's responsibilities, to merit attending TWO balls with regards to the military? Esp. when there were balls given by minority groups, The Human Rights group, from the healthcare sector, from the education sector, Native Americans, LGBT, etc, etc...

It seems to me, the PRESIDENT (whose one of many duties, is commander-in-chief), attended balls given by his homestate, his vice president's homestate[I'd think to say thanks for the homegrown campaign support], balls for states divided into regions, a ball for 'all americans'/neighbourhood ball - a leader who is accessible to all, and, the last, a ball targeted for the youth (which, for anyone who has followed the Obama campaign would know was a vocal target demographic of his).

Within all that context, why is this a snub to the military, I wonder? Is it more a reaction to the audacity to break tradition [no other president has done this]? Is it because he's not therefore acknowledging the military's value (even though he did go to one for the military, where, invited guests were also war veterans, families of fallen soldiers, spouses, etc)? Is it because he's trying to left-handedly make a comment regarding the purpose of past military (action)? Or, is it because we're out to prove that Obama is not the leader most of us seem to 'delude' ourselves into thinking? What is the real motive behind our reaction?

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Does someone knows what that people actually do to earn a Medal of Honour?
    I will admit I am very uneducated in these matters. I too, am curious to know what that entails.

MBTI
    ISTx

Taken from wiki:
    The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States government. It is bestowed on a member of the United States armed forces who distinguishes himself "conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States".[1] Because of the nature of its criteria, the medal is often awarded posthumously.
    It takes some big balls trash, that's all I can say.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    It's real when you consider that everything else that Obama has done since inauguration has been symbolic. It shows his values.
    Well, he doesn't value military utilization as much as diplomacy, if that's what you want to pin it on. Obama has been trying to further center-leftist policy since the inauguration. Just like we all knew he would.

MBTI
    ISTx

^That's fine, pushing for diplomacy over violence but how is that a good defense for a Commander In Chief to shrug off those he's in command over? People who have made/been at the brink of making the ultimate sacrifice for the conflicts that they've been involved in, simply because it was their duty to those they serve next to and the nation?

I'm not saying he's going to be a bad president or that he'll handle the military wrong necessarily, but he made an error and it's bad PR and I wish I knew what he was thinking in going to the "celebrity ball", as opposed to what I (and I believe every American) should deem "the true heroes' ball"... That's all.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

The pandering to celebrities crap is just that - a load of crap. There were celebrities at the CiC ball (namely, Bon Jovi and some others, including some American Idol winner), and that is supposed to be a ball to celebrate the military. Was he pandering then? Did he go just for Bon Jovi?

In fact, there were celebrities at many of the balls. Does that mean that Obama's having attended some of these balls was for the purpose of mingling with celebrities? That seems a bit like a non-sequitur to me.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I will admit I am very uneducated in these matters. I too, am curious to know what that entails.

I will get to my point.

Probably almost all of them have earned them in Afghanistan or Iraq.

The thing is that war in Iraq is ilegal operation from the position of international law. From the position of foreign policy it would be suicidal to attain something like this. Since you can't come just on a half of entire thing it is better not to come at all.

You guys should celebrate you president actually has some brains.

I know that I am from a different county but I understand the problem.
    US is not the only county that has president, constitution, military, concept of responsibility and something known as tradition and good manners.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Antisocial One, did you miss my reference to vietnam? This is an unacceptable viewpoint after the shameful way Vietnam vets were treated after the war. Please take time to listen this time.

That is why you see no one agreeing with you.