User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 158

  1. #51
    Senior Member Hirsch63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj
    Posts
    525

    Default

    I seemed to recall something about the presentation of the Medal of honor...so I tried to track it down:

    Medal History & Protocol presented by HonorYourVeteran.com

    ....The Medal of Honor is usually personally presented by the President of the United States to the recipient or, in the case of posthumous awards, to next of kin....

    ....Some of the special privileges and courtesies afforded Medal of Honor recipients:

    Enlisted personnel who are awarded the Medal of Honor are authorized one automatic promotion if not already serving in the highest enlisted grade.
    Each recipient receives a monthly pension from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
    A special travel ID card entitles recipients who are not active duty or retirees to space-available military air transportation.
    Unlike other military personnel, Medal of Honor recipients may wear their uniforms at any time or place they choose.
    All Medal of Honor recipients receive invitations to attend Presidential inaugurations and accompanying festivities....

    Perhaps actual members of the service may know more about this or be able to confirm the veracity of the citation?

    If true, an Ameircan President has already personally conferred the honor to them? Recipients are further rewarded with promotions, pensions and inaugural privlidges? So each of these Veteran's if they chose, could freely attend any of the ten "official" inaugural balls? I believe that they certainly deserve all these emoluments for exceptional service rendered.

    Is it an outrage that president Obama did not attend the American Legion Ball? Or that A president didn't?
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

  2. #52
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Indeed. And I shall snark a little.

    Obama is backed into a corner because it seems like every demographic in the country expected a free pony upon his inauguration. He will always be getting the heat from some disappointed party.

    Hope often leads the way to disappointment.
    In that case, he made his own bed.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #53
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    If you guys don't think public perception doesn't play a important role in politics, you're wrong... Regardless of your personal feelings, some traditions and ceremonies are to be valued as a respect.

  4. #54
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    Is it an outrage that president Obama did not attend the American Legion Ball? Or that A president didn't?
    I think Obama should have attended, but...there wouldn't be nearly as much complaining if Bush had done the same.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #55
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Nor do you cleave to tradition, merely for the sake of.

  6. #56
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    If you guys don't think public perception doesn't play a important role in politics, you're wrong... Regardless of your personal feelings, some traditions and ceremonies are to be valued as a respect.
    I think it was a mistake only because of this report. It was a PR mistake. It's a rather cynical reason for me to think it was a mistake. It's not because of my respect for any of these institutions, but because I know so many constituents respect these institutions and make big deals out of them as is being done right now.

    In a sense, all the value is imagined. It is important, because you say it is important. There is no practical relevance to it, though.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #57
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    And what if the president thinks that this people don't deserve a medal since they were not fighting for freedom and good in the world, but they are non the less proud of on what they were doing?

    Being there could mean sending a wrong massage to the world.
    We went through that with the Vietnam war. That message is supposed to be unacceptable to the American people. Hopefully that attitude never comes back.

    Reading the other (non quoted) responses I personally think this was exactly the point of not attending. Pushing what is expected/accepted and getting the average American to accept it. Time will tell.

  8. #58
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    If it is true that it's a longstanding tradition for the President to attend this ball, then I agree with those who view this as a snub. Obama is a damn smart operator - surely he can't have 'accidentally' missed such an event? The stuff about security/logistics concerns seems a bit of a weak excuse - if this is a tradition, and if those military servicemen/women were expecting to see him, then him not showing up is a big no-no. As for 'other things to do' - well yeah, maybe on some days - but on that day? His 'other things to do' included a celebrity ball. It looks bad, at the very least.

    Has his team made any statements about this? Does anyone have any links?

    I speak as a non-Obamaniac. I don't hate Obama and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this stage. I also speak as a Canadian civilian and strong opponent of the Iraq war when I say that I respect what Kyuuei (sorry if that's spelled wrong) has to say on this issue and am surprised at some of the patronising responses she's received here. In my opinion, the tradition of supporting the troops in the US is an honourable one, and an honest one, too (not to mention nonpartisan - one reason Obama's action surprises me). These people do the dirty work so we don't have to. So count me out of any posts that say civilians view military personnel as numbskulls, please.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  9. #59
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think it was a mistake only because of this report. It was a PR mistake. It's a rather cynical reason for me to think it was a mistake. It's not because of my respect for any of these institutions, but because I know so many constituents respect these institutions and make big deals out of them as is being done right now.

    In a sense, all the value is imagined. It is important, because you say it is important. There is no practical relevance to it, though.
    I understand what you're saying and the psychology of it, however that is not the mentality our President is able to adopt... Well if he expects support.

  10. #60
    Wild Card Atomic Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    7,164

    Default

    The man was busy.


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-15-2016, 03:27 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2016, 05:08 PM
  3. The First Country To Land A Man On The Sun
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-12-2015, 03:42 PM
  4. Barack Obama: ‘The first gay president’?
    By UniqueMixture in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 09:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO