User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Here is an address to a list of the many celebrations of the evening beginning with the ten "official" balls:

Inaugural Balls 2009 - A Guide to Inaugural Balls and Galas

I'm curious if the American Legion took a particular political stance during the election...I wonder who they might have put their resources behind?

I can't even begin to imagine what the logistics of the inaugural evening were like...tricky at best.

I'll be much more impressed by what the administration does for our disabled veterans and those returning home who need a variety of services. Time will tell. There seemed to have been a bit of a problem with the VA during the last administration as I recall....

I do not believe from what I read that this event was a medal of honor ceremony...it was an event honoring those who have already recieved it...and I believe that it (the MOH) is awarded by the sitting president...
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

I think Obama is damned no matter what he does, because whoever's event he missed is going to feel like he's flipping them the bird. I still don't know how he managed to visit 10 balls in one night in that city, as crowded as it was. I still maintain that while he should have attended, it's not the statement some are making it out to be. After all, he's the guy that wants to bring them home, not the guy who wanted to leave them there. I recall what Magic Poriferan said..."Who is really against the troops?"

And with no offense or snark intended, instead of suggesting that people who haven't served can't appreciate the slight, perhaps serving in the military makes one less able to judge the event without bias.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    I

If this doesn't show Obama's a P, then I don't know what does.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think Obama is damned no matter what he does, because whoever's event he missed is going to feel like he's flipping them the bird. I still don't know how he managed to visit 10 balls in one night in that city, as crowded as it was. I still maintain that while he should have attended, it's not the statement some are making it out to be. After all, he's the guy that wants to bring them home, not the guy who wanted to leave them there. I recall what Magic Poriferan said..."Who is really against the troops?"

And with no offense or snark intended, instead of suggesting that people who haven't served can't appreciate the slight, perhaps serving in the military makes one less able to judge the event without bias.
    Indeed. And I shall snark a little.

Obama is backed into a corner because it seems like every demographic in the country expected a free pony upon his inauguration. He will always be getting the heat from some disappointed party.

Hope often leads the way to disappointment.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    If this doesn't show Obama's a P, then I don't know what does.
    You don't know what does.

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    You can feel that he should of attended, but it's not like it was without reason. However, again with facts:

"Not close enough" -> clearing streets, clearing a hotel and so forth was deemed too difficult and not safe enough, given the risk.

"too busy with the celebrities" -> He went to the balls that were in the same building as it was already secured and time efficient.
    I see. It is also a fact that he is the only Pres to miss it. There was no need to make excuses because ALL those other Presidents we could mention actually went. No if/and/but/maybes were involved.

Now those same soldiers would be wrong to feel disrespected and look at him differently now right? (which I have already heard is happening). An undeniable fact goes in the category of every other Pres MADE TIME because they found it out of RESPECT to go the ceremony.

But Obama can't be bothered with such petty things as 48 Medals of Honor. It's wasn't on his list of things to do, as was obvious.
    “If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool. -Carl Gustav Jung *I-74* *N-53* *T-95* *J-89*

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by *Strictly_The_Facts* View Post
    I see. It is also a fact that he is the only Pres to miss it. There was no need to make excuses because ALL those other Presidents we could mention actually went. No if/and/but/maybes were involved. Now those same soldiers would be wrong to feel disrespected and look at him differently now right? (which I have already heard is happening). An undeniable fact goes in the category of every other Pres MADE TIME because they found it out of RESPECT to go the ceremony.ut Obama can't be bothered with such petty things as 48 Medals of Honor. It's wasn't on his list of things to do, as was obvious.
    Like I said, you can feel like your principles are being violated. It doesn't change that this situation was unique from a security or logistics point of view. If you note, I agree that it was politically motivated. He could of done it, but at a high cost to the overall ceremonies. He chose not to (and he *chose* it, as Biden did go and he got a formal invite).

But when it becomes a moral crusade, a lot of the details like why go by the wayside. It seems like it wasn't unreasonable for him not to attend, and he did the next best thing he could. For you, unacceptable. For most, understandable.

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    For you, unacceptable. For most, understandable.
    I hear what you're trying to say just don't agree with it. But this part isn't as one-sided as you just presented. I know quite a few military as well as average civilians who are "very" unhappy with the no show..
    “If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool. -Carl Gustav Jung *I-74* *N-53* *T-95* *J-89*

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Indeed. And I shall snark a little.

Obama is backed into a corner because it seems like every demographic in the country expected a free pony upon his inauguration. He will always be getting the heat from some disappointed party.

Hope often leads the way to disappointment.
    This applies: I am new enough on the national political scene that I serve as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views. As such, I am bound to disappoint some, if not all, of them. - Barack Obama

MBTI
    ISFJ

Leave it to the americans to over-think stuff like this.