User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    For those talking about the inanity of him not attending - he didn't attend a relatively small and unofficial ball, removed from the official schedule (ie: media, etc.) because of 'logistical concerns' by the hosts. It's really not the end of the world. The balls he *did* attend were geographically close, some even in the same building. The security concerns were a major component of the decision as well.
    Right... Like security concerns weren't omnipresent almost everywhere he went. Like he wasn't the only President ever not to show up and honor the brave men and women who protect YOUR freedoms. I'm sorry but I would think the Commander and Chief would miss two or three insignificant Balls to make this one.

Almost as ridiculous as forming an opinion on just an article and making such a hardened opinion about it.

It was intentional, yes, but it's hardly as clear cut as it seems.
    You mean almost as ridiculous as trying to justify a President missing the Honary Heroes Ball where 48 soldiers were being given the most Prestigous medal that can possibly be achieved. Anyone who has half-respect for our troops who are fighting and dying for us at this moment should make it the MAIN BALL that he attends above all others! I'm sorry I'm not buying the excuse that other people are trying to make for him
    If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool. -Carl Gustav Jung *I-74* *N-53* *T-95* *J-89*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

That's a lot of balls to juggle at once.

/5 years old

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by *Strictly_The_Facts* View Post
    Right... Like security concerns weren't omnipresent almost everywhere he went. Like he wasn't the only President ever not to show up and honor the brave men and women who protect YOUR freedoms. I'm sorry but I would think the Commander and Chief would miss two or three insignificant Balls to make this one.
    The reality is that it was held a distance away, would have had to clear the hotel. The event was intentionally quite small. This inauguration was a logistics nightmare.

Go find a picture of the ball and post it for me. Seriously, try. This wasn't the game-ending ball that you make it out to be, or the slight you (want to?) think it is.

You almost as ridiculous as trying to justify a President missing the Honary Heroes Ball where 48 soldiers were being given the most Prestigous medal that can possibly be achieved. Anyone who has half-respect for our troops who are fighting and dying for us at this moment should be the MAIN BALL that he attends above all others! I'm sorry I'm not buying the excuse that other people are trying to make for him
    Main ball? I don't think you understand what a media-excluded, off the mill, small ball would be called.

Oh, and he did have MOLs at the main ball, for the record. So I think Stars and stripes might disagree with your definition of respect.

Here's a good summary too, if you want the facts.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I hope he does apologize.. but if people didn't display outrage about it, then why would he apologize in the first place? More importantly, if you aren't offended by this, why would it matter if he apologized at all? If he didn't.. would you honestly still be saying you think he should??
    He should apologize because some people have taken it personally. An apology costs little and quells a lot of anger. This is especially important in regards to such a large group that plays an integral role in national defense. He wouldn't want them to rebel and turn against us.
    And no, I am not the most sentimental on it all. I meant in the military stand-point. There are lots of soldiers that love ceremonies, that love traditions, dress blues, and meeting and greeting higher ups. I am not one of these. But I still want to see the higher-ups held to the standards we are, and even more-so, because the higher you get, the more standards you have. This should ring true for everyone. To quote Silently honest: "But something holds true for everything in life, you can know of something, and have an opinion about it, but unless you've been apart of that experience you don't know it."
    It seems like your perspective has been shaped by the military's values and traditions, regardless of whether you're sentimental or not. You see this as enlightening, but others may see it as a personal connection that distorts objectivity. Both interpretations are valid.
    My point is that, as civilians, you don't NEED to be in the military to be outraged by this. I am just as outraged at how little everyone cares that the president honors veterans. There is No other ball listed that held the responsibility and importance that as that particular one. There are balls all over the damn country all the time.. how come EVERY president could make it, but this one couldn't? He could, is my statement. And any statement made over the military, his dislike or like of the way thigns are ran, should NOT reflect on the veterans that have already served.

I think it's outrageous that just because people aren't in the military, they seem to care significantly less than those in it.
    What you're describing is human nature. People who haven't been in the military don't feel a connection to those have been. It's a different culture, a different world, and people on both the civilian and military sides see the other as backwards and alien in some way. The fact is, people tend to feel connections to those who they share common values, perspectives, and experiences with. The people who they've worked with, who they grew up with. You are no exception, I think. Civilians view military and ex-military as hard, mind-numbed people who serve and follow certain things unquestioningly, thus they don't remember what it means to be a typical American anymore. Military view civilians as soft, undisciplined, petty, and selfish people who don't appreciate what the government and military do to keep them alive. Neither view is totally wrong, of course.
    There was a picture I saw one time.. of the colors of the flags going by.. and the ONLY person standing and showing respect was the veteran in a wheelchair. This was not a military ball, or a "YAY ARMY!" ball. This was honoring those who have honored our country the most with their service. There is NOTHING insignificant about that, or his lack of presense there. THat was my point entirely. You all SHOULD care, because it IS important, whether you like the military or not or are in it or not. This was all my entire point. Did you think I did not succeed in making it in my previous statements?
    You have succeeded in making it clear that you think it's self-evident why it's important. You're telling us that we should feel an instinctive compulsion to honor people who have been deemed worthy of an award for military service. Some people may not agree that military service is honorable because it involves killing. Still others might think that it's wrong for someone to serve their country for the sake of being honored rather than for its own sake. You have a valid perspective, certainly, but you haven't tried to convince us why it's the best of all possible perspectives.

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I refuse to argue that the President should not have been there as these people receive their medal of honor rewards, MEDAL OF HONOR that is. Also I'm sure every other President had A, B, and C in there way but they still had enough RESPECT, yes respect, to be there as these men and women who defend our freedoms receive an award which they earned in ways we could never imagine. Every other President attend this honorary event, except Obama. Because "it wasn't close enough" and he was "too busy with the celebrities". Ok I get it.
    If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool. -Carl Gustav Jung *I-74* *N-53* *T-95* *J-89*

MBTI
    ISTx

So since it was a media-excluded/small ball, the Commander In Chief shouldn't be expected to show up for our nation's heroes ceremony where they receive the highest honorary award? A ceremony that no previous president has missed... Oh, alright that makes good sense.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm just not that sentimental.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm just not that sentimental.
    Nor do you cleave to tradition, merely for the sake of.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by *Strictly_The_Facts* View Post
    I refuse to argue that the President should not have been there as these people receive their medal of honor rewards, MEDAL OF HONOR that is. Also I'm sure every other President had A, B, and C in there way but they still had enough RESPECT, yes respect, to be there as these men and women who defend our freedoms receive an award which they earned in ways we could never imagine. Every other President attend this honorary event, except Obama. Because "it wasn't close enough" and he was "too busy with the celebrities". Ok I get it.
    You can feel that he should of attended, but it's not like it was without reason. However, again with facts:

"Not close enough" -> clearing streets, clearing a hotel and so forth was deemed too difficult and not safe enough, given the risk.

"too busy with the celebrities" -> He went to the balls that were in the same building as it was already secured and time efficient.

You can feel like your principles were violated without exaggerating why he did not go.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    So since it was a media-excluded/small ball, the Commander In Chief shouldn't be expected to show up for our nation's heroes ceremony where they receive the highest honorary award? A ceremony that no previous president has missed... Oh, alright that makes good sense.
    Yup, it does, doesn't it? It's the cost of those 'practicalities' that exist in life... and there are a few more than you mentioned.

And what if the president thinks that this people don't deserve a medal since they were not fighting for freedom and good in the world, but they are non the less proud of on what they were doing?

Being there could mean sending a wrong massage to the world.