User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years | Cleveland Leader[/QUOTE]

There are only 10 official balls from which he is obligated to make apperances. Plus 1 other unofficial ball for his own volunteers which he should attend for obvious reasons. I researched all the inaugural events since I live in DC but I never heard of the one in the article, Beat. It definitely flew under the radar.

I was under the impression that because his election is historical and specifically his grass-roots style *campaign* made history, that he has more of an obligation than previous presidents to personally show his gratitude towards the grass-roots movement push that elected him.

The official balls give out tickets by invitation only -- these are folks usually involved with campaigning and volunteering or are long-standing members in various communities.

It's his way of showing he is of the people and he cares.

So I can see why not attending can seem like a snub. But, there was also the matter of publicity -- the other balls had much more hype.

But, I think he hasn't been in office long enough to show how much he supports the troops. Bush said he supported the troops and then slashed vet benefits I believe. I spoke with an ex-service man who was up at Walter Reed and the stories he told me of his own experiences and other soldiers didnt' seem like the Bush administration was being very supportive.

If there was anything political about not attending that ball, it was probably that he and Michelle were already over-extended as it was. I believe he attended more balls than previous presidents have.

So - I understand your reservations if you think not attending that ball was a snub or political statement, but I think there is a lot more to come which will show exactly how supportive (or not) Obama is of the troops.

Legislation not appearances!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Legislation not appearances!
    Preach it Sistah CzeCze.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't think this is the case either. If I had seen "Bush Snubs MoH Ball" in the title, I'd be even more outraged.
    You might be, but given Bush's relationship with the military (compared to Obama's), I don't think most people would look on him as harshly. They'd be more likely to actually believe his excuse, rather than calling it BS like they're doing with Obama's.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Yeah, this kind of solidifies my thoughts that Obama just doesn't back the troops. A little scary, considering he's our commander in chief in a time of conflict. To do something like this, isn't that an arrogant and clear message?

Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years | Cleveland Leader
    Had he attended, I'd been frustrated.
    A leader is not a ceremony master.
    In early Rome, the chieftain of the ceremonies had the title of a king.
    It was a republic.

Learn from the British.
    In England, the King/Queen is the leader of the ceremonies.
    The Prime Minister is free to attend to the business of the state.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Leader of ceremonies, isn't that what the vice president is for? And that means Biden did...
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    OMNi

Bush was in office for 9 months when September 11 occurred and certain people argued that because he hadn't been in office "long enough" it couldn't be said that he had in any way failed America and yet Obama has been in office for 8 days and just because he didn't attend a ball he has managed to fail all of America's troops.

Dog's have their days, and cynics have theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Had he attended, I'd been frustrated.
    A leader is not a ceremony master.
    In early Rome, the chieftain of the ceremonies had the title of a king.
    It was a republic.

Learn from the British.
    In England, the King/Queen is the leader of the ceremonies.
    The Prime Minister is free to attend to the business of the state.
    This isn't Britain and apparently there's a long standing tradition for the Commander in Chief to attend...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

This isn't Britain and apparently there's a long standing tradition for the Commander in Chief to attend...
    Obama is all about change, right?
    So let's assume the concept of tradition for its own sake is always moot with him.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Hmm, maybe Wildcat's point is more about about separating the ceremonial, representative and symbolic role of the Head of State (as embodied by the British monarch) from that of actively leading the country as head of Government (the Prme Minister's role). There are plenty of countries around the world that do separate the two functions, combining a largely ceremonial president (or monarch) with a Prime Minister who provides the actual political leadership and posesses most of the executive power.

France and Israel come to mind as two other examples, though I'm sure there are many, many more. It's a lot to expect of one person, especially in a country as large and complex as the US, with the media always ready to pounce on the slightest hint of a false move. Not that I'm expecting too many Americans to want to change the system they have become used to any time soon, but the more tasks a single person is expected to accomplish in a given period, the more they are being set up to fail somewhere down the line *shrugs*
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Like a guy from another board I frequent said, most veterans are concerned with other things. The balls throughout Inauguration are populated by D.C. elite, and are meant to please this demographic. Imagine if everyone that makes a difference everywhere in the South had been invited to the Southern Ball, for example.