User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why do you think that if my line of reasoning is true that he did something really bad?
    I wouldn't put it as strongly as Effem and Edgar did, but they covered the general idea. I think there's a good possibility that that's why Obama did it, or maybe part of why he did it. As I said, I think it will work to improve international opinion and relations, but I'm not sure he should have done it for those reasons. Because:

1. I think international law (as a predetermined code) is misguided or ineffective.
    2. I think carrying out the laws of this country should take priority over international opinion. This is a part of Mr. Bush's approach (and Reagan's famous approach, according to legend) that I liked, even if I didn't like the actual decisions he made.

I would like the U.S. to be held in high regard by the rest of the world, but it's not the most important thing, and there are better ways to do it. For example, news says that Obama may send diplomats to talk directly with Iran. This is a good move, I think. And you see how that is different from ignoring the Medal of Honor celebration.

There's my uninvited opinion.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Whoa whoa, hold on there.

Let me get this straight. You think that since the war in Iraq "violated international law" (whatever the fuck that is), you think Obama did the right thing by snubbing the American veterans?

Did I get that right?
    Yes, you did.

Think 'Divide and conquer'.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Ok, I'll try to break it down for you as clearly as possible because you seem to be under the influence of something very potent.

Obama is the President of America. His duties are first and foremost to protect American interests. He has taken an oath to do so. The reason he is in power is because American citizens voted for him. Not you, Antisocial, and not anyone who does not hold an American passport. The US does not owe you, or any other "small proud country" shit. If I didn't know any better I'd say a lot of people in the world are growing complacent due to American generosity. We are the only superpower in the history of human kind that helps the defeated country back on its feet (see Marshall Plan). Just last century the loser was required to pay reparations (see the Treaty of Versailles), and a few centuries before that, rape and pillaging were considered victors spoils. If you want to know what it is to live under another superpower, asks some Hungarians who had the dubious pleasure of living in the 60s.

Another thing, American soldiers serve at the pleasure of the U.S. President. They follow his orders, and pay with their lives if they have to. That's how they got their Medals of Honor in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc - by following orders of their Commander in Chief. It would make sense that Obama, the current President and Commander in Chief, would respect their sacrifice, even though his ideas differ from that of the previous President. After all, these are the same soldiers who are expected to follow his orders now that he is in charge.

I hope that clears up any confusion you've had.
    I never had confusion I understand the problem perfectly. I was just offering a viewpoint. What does not mean that I don't think that this is a capital mistake when it comes to situation inside US.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Wow, big deal. When something important happens (such as this) let me know. Such as if he decides to leave our troops without proper supplies and weapons or puts them in harms way causing thousands to die unnecessarily.
    This is an excellent reminder of none-too-long-ago shenanigans. I recall putting together more than a few care packages for my brother, good friend, and volunteer troop sponsorships stocked with THE BASICS since they were not available. I'm not talking X-Boxes, comic books, or movies --but athletic socks, chapstick, anti-perspirant, first aid ointment, shaving supplies etc. My family discussed chipping in for a Kevlar vest for my brother since he had to "take turns" with another soldier until the military could provide him his own.

I can't speak for my brother, but I have a feeling he's never heard of this Ball and wouldn't give a rat's ass if he did. However, having experienced what he did, I'm sure he'd be much less interested in lip service and a helluva lot more interested in tangible results.

PS also if this Ball such a huge deal why isn't there more media coverage informing us that it's approaching? I mean why wait until a President doesn't show.
    Well, it sells better for one. I'd like to think that's not the only reason...

Again I've never heard of the Medal of Honor Ball so I can't really judge whether or not this is a big oopsies or just whatever. Had you heard of this prior to the news story? Anyone?
    I foggily recollect mention in years past, but I'd fail this as a Jeopardy question.

Re: thread

All in all, it seems wiser to question the story, the timing, and the motivations as well as the reason he did not attend rather than castigate him for all the reasons that can be conjectured.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

what he did snub our heroes ? OMFG

Thats like someone would say Einstein was the only german one should know overseas. Really he has to be stoned to death !

*sneaks out of the scene and rips of his clothes after noone is watching anymore*

YES WE CAN
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISTx

^In English, please pee.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    This is an excellent reminder of none-too-long-ago shenanigans. I recall putting together more than a few care packages for my brother, good friend, and volunteer troop sponsorships stocked with THE BASICS since they were not available. I'm not talking X-Boxes, comic books, or movies --but athletic socks, chapstick, anti-perspirant, first aid ointment, shaving supplies etc. My family discussed chipping in for a Kevlar vest for my brother since he had to "take turns" with another soldier until the military could provide him his own.
    From someone that's been over there.. That was probably my biggest complaint was the lack of 'stuff' over there. It's a combat zone.. and even though it's literally the most luxurious one ever, it's still combat. Soldiers in combat will always face shortages of basic supplies, and have to buy and horde things when they can get them. Supplies, ammunition, armor. These are all things that we struggle for because they're basic and EVERYONE needs and wants them. How you get them, sometimes you must be creative.

It's a fact of combat, and it always will be. I wasn't too happy about it either, but that's what I signed up for. I'm sure previous wars were even harder when it comes down to the small creature comforts of life like being clean.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    From someone that's been over there.. That was probably my biggest complaint was the lack of 'stuff' over there. It's a combat zone.. and even though it's literally the most luxurious one ever, it's still combat. Soldiers in combat will always face shortages of basic supplies, and have to buy and horde things when they can get them. Supplies, ammunition, armor. These are all things that we struggle for because they're basic and EVERYONE needs and wants them. How you get them, sometimes you must be creative.

It's a fact of combat, and it always will be. I wasn't too happy about it either, but that's what I signed up for. I'm sure previous wars were even harder when it comes down to the small creature comforts of life like being clean.
    Discussing whether or not the government's supplying of troops is (was)/isn't (wasn't) adequate is a whooooole 'nother thread.

If you want to explore it, I'd request a thread split before the beast grows.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Ease up on the heavy lager, chief.