User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I know I am terrible at following rules. Leaving now.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ISTx

Lol. Bye bye, Jen. C U around.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

lol bye freak butts. missuluvubi! *kisskiss* haha! ;P
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Here is what I said.

I will get to my point.

Probably almost all of them have earned medals in Afghanistan or Iraq.

The thing is that war in Iraq is ilegal operation from the position of international law.
    So from the position of foreign policy it would be suicidal to attain something like this. Since you can't come just on a half of entire thing it is better not to come at all.

You guys should celebrate, you president actually has some brains.

I know that I am from a different county but I understand the problem.
    US is not the only county that has president, constitution, military, concept of responsibility and something known as tradition and good manners.

No I did not miss that.

But I did not change my opinion about this topic because of it.

Also I am not here searching for someone to agree with me I am trying to show the picture how it looks form outside and entire thing is logical if you watch it from this perspective.

At this stage Obama can't afford to look like someone who does not respect international law.

Even if most of the medal receivers are dead, that does not change things much.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Whoa whoa, hold on there.

Let me get this straight. You think that since the war in Iraq "violated international law" (whatever the fuck that is), you think Obama did the right thing by snubbing the American veterans?

Did I get that right?
    Yeah, I didn't think of that until Antisocial One said it. If that's why Obama did it, my opinion on this whole "faux pas" is going from neutral to negative. On the other hand, it will probably work well towards those ends.

And Kyuuei made an interesting point, too, about the Medal of Honor embodying the essence and spirit of the military. Again, it puts it into perspective.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think of that until Antisocial One said it. If that's why Obama did it, my opinion on this whole "faux pas" is going from neutral to negative. On the other hand, it will probably work well towards those ends.

Why do you think that if my line of reasoning is true that he did something really bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Agreed 100%. I don't think that's why he did it, because that would be abominable, and I think he's a good man. But if that IS why he did it, then shame on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why do you think that if my line of reasoning is true that he did something really bad?
    Because those soldiers acted at the behest of the government. They weren't making individual, reasoned decisions about the righteousness of what they were being asked to do. They don't have that luxury. They served their nation in the way their nation asked them to. And for their nation (embodied in the person of the President) to turn its back on them for something it sent them to do is repugnant. You can't send your child to steal from the neighbor and then blame the child when the cops show up.

All that said, I cannot fathom that any President would have the sheer shamelessness to engage in such a thought process, and I don't think in a million years that that's what Obama was thinking.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

When I was young many of my generation met soldiers coming home from VietNam at the airports and jeered at them. This was a case of misplaced anger at the government.

I can't pretend to know what Obama's intentions were. I hope it wasn't punishing the honor of soldiers to indicate his feelings about the war. Two different things. Need to be kept separate from each other.

Perhaps some reporter will ask the question and we'll understand better why he didn't attend?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Ok, I'll try to break it down for you as clearly as possible because you seem to be under the influence of something very potent.

Obama is the President of America. His duties are first and foremost to protect American interests. He has taken an oath to do so. The reason he is in power is because American citizens voted for him. Not you, Antisocial, and not anyone who does not hold an American passport. The US does not owe you, or any other "small proud country" shit. If I didn't know any better I'd say a lot of people in the world are growing complacent due to American generosity. We are the only superpower in the history of human kind that helps the defeated country back on its feet (see Marshall Plan). Just last century the loser was required to pay reparations (see the Treaty of Versailles), and a few centuries before that, rape and pillaging were considered victors spoils. If you want to know what it is to live under another superpower, asks some Hungarians who had the dubious pleasure of living in the 60s.

Another thing, American soldiers serve at the pleasure of the U.S. President. They follow his orders, and pay with their lives if they have to. That's how they got their Medals of Honor in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc - by following orders of their Commander in Chief. It would make sense that Obama, the current President and Commander in Chief, would respect their sacrifice, even though his ideas differ from that of the previous President. After all, these are the same soldiers who are expected to follow his orders now that he is in charge.

I hope that clears up any confusion you've had.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Agreed 100%. I don't think that's why he did it, because that would be abominable, and I think he's a good man. But if that IS why he did it, then shame on him.

Because those soldiers acted at the behest of the government. They weren't making individual, reasoned decisions about the righteousness of what they were being asked to do. They don't have that luxury. They served their nation in the way their nation asked them to. And for their nation (embodied in the person of the President) to turn its back on them for something it sent them to do is repugnant. You can't send your child to steal from the neighbor and then blame the child when the cops show up.

All that said, I cannot fathom that any President would have the sheer shamelessness to engage in such a thought process, and I don't think in a million years that that's what Obama was thinking.
    I was only checking if his reasons are patriotic or is there anything else.

As for "any president" thing, if you mean on all countries I must say it happened. Not only that it happened it was put in force.

Current Croatian president did it.

Neighbouring country attacked Croatia but Croatia managed to defend itself.
    But the president and political elite who was elected after the war started to charge high military officials for war crimes. So entire thing ended on court martials and civil courts.

Yes, you are reading this right it not a bad English. To make things even far more absurd this president was the president of the country that attacked in the first place and when it attacked.

But I don't pay attention to this kinds of things in my life because there is simpley to much apsurd.

The reason why I created my theory over situation mentioned in this thread is because I know how this looks like. My idea was never to troll or something similar.

Maybe I shoud talk more about how we do politics in my corner of the world. Since there are interesting and quite apsurd stories to tell.