User Tag List

View Poll Results: How large was the Reagan era shift?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • The U.S. turned farther right than most think.

3 25.00%
  • Most perceptions are correct.

1 8.33%
  • The U.S. did not turn as far right as most think.

5 41.67%
  • U.S. culture/society shifted right.

0 0%
  • U.S. government shifted right.

3 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    He rose taxes, which included the biggest tax hike since WWII, and grew government. Reagan made a Right-turn, only in rhetoric.
    Marginal income tax rates definitely decreased during the Reagan Administration. As for "biggest tax hike," that's debatable. The budget deficit definitely increased majorly, though. Defense spending shot through the roof, and the deficit nearly quadrupled. Not a very "small-government" thing to do. He was quite the disappointment for the true believers, like most politicians.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Marginal income tax rates definitely decreased during the Reagan Administration. As for "biggest tax hike," that's debatable. The budget deficit definitely increased majorly, though. Defense spending shot through the roof, and the deficit nearly quadrupled. Not a very "small-government" thing to do. He was quite the disappointment for the true believers, like most politicians.
    Do you think national defense should/can be left to the free market? If you don't, where do you draw the line for how much should be spent on military? I mean evidently you don't think the relatively more competent military left by Reagan to the one under Clinton was good enough of a reason for the increase.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Do you think national defense should/can be left to the free market? If you don't, where do you draw the line for how much should be spent on military? I mean evidently you don't think the relatively more competent military left by Reagan to the one under Clinton was good enough of a reason for the increase.
    I wouldn't leave spending on National Defence to the free market, no. However, that doesn't mean increased spending is worthwhile just because it comes from a government source. Was it worthwhile in the Reagan era case? Debatable, and almost impossible to quantify. Is spending time at war a sign of good defence spending or bad? Probably both...

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    No, I don't. You can't really provide for a national defense on an individual basis. I still think that Reagan spent too much, intervened abroad too often, and really didn't care about the deficit, when he should have.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Reagan era defense expenditures were a waste because they were completely unnecessary.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Reagan era defense expenditures were a waste because they were completely unnecessary.
    Well, maybe. But I think he was just playing a game of chicken with the Soviets, knowing they'd go bankrupt before us. It worked, anyway. Whether it was worth it is another matter.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, maybe. But I think he was just playing a game of chicken with the Soviets, knowing they'd go bankrupt before us. It worked, anyway. Whether it was worth it is another matter.
    Well, the thing is, I'm pretty sure the USSR was going to collapse without us. We had been over-estimating for about 20 years by the time it dissolved. And you know, the whole invasion of Afghanistan sort of sealed the deal.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

"The US" didn't do anything. The US is not a monolith with one opinion on everything. The whole "right-left" thing is pretty silly anyway, as there are so many tons of variations on what those actually mean that they virtually have no concrete meaning.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTP

read From Yalta to Berlin or watch The Power of Fear to see just what kind of threat the soviet was or wasn't in the 80s.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    "The US" didn't do anything. The US is not a monolith with one opinion on everything. The whole "right-left" thing is pretty silly anyway, as there are so many tons of variations on what those actually mean that they virtually have no concrete meaning.
    Yes, I know it's vague and can't really be quantified. I'm just interested in people's opinions.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.