User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    Precisely, the premise of heterosexual marriage for a homosexual is valid, but not traditionally sound or productive at all. That is unless, marriage is not about love and sexual preference. However, if you took sexual preference out of the loop it is possible to love someone of the opposite sex in spite of being homosexual. Then again, if you took sexual preference out of the loop the whole argument would be circular, given that your argument is about homosexual, not heterosexual rights.

So yea booyalab might be right if homosexuals were forced into heterosexual marriages. But this is not practical at all, and therefore wrong.
    This has nothing to do with what I'm suggesting.

What I'm suggesting is that to categorically discourage our pursuit is to unequally distribute protection under the law. A marriage is not just a tax convenience. I feel ill-equipped to describe what a marriage is, as I've never been married, but there is no denying the benefits two individuals reap by committing to a mentally and physically loving relationship. It is healthy for them to do so. As it is in our nation's interest to be made up of healthy citizens, should we not therefore recognize, protect and promote healthy practices?

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    You and other advocates have a simple remedy via the legislature or plebiscite. Convince a majority, and what you want is rightfully enforceable.
    That's what I'm doing.
    Last edited by Brendan; 01-27-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    This has nothing to do with what I'm suggesting.

What I'm suggesting is that to categorically discourage our pursuit is to unequally distribute protection under the law. A marriage is not just a tax convenience. I feel ill-equipped to describe what a marriage, in contrast is, as I've never been married, but there is no denying the benefits two individuals reap by committing to a mentally and physically loving relationship. It is healthy for them to do so. As it is in our nation's interest to be made up of healthy citizens, should we not therefore recognize and protect healthy practices?
    Well that's what I meant. An earlier post suggested that if heterosexuality was transferred to some degree onto a homosexual person, then it is not discrimination. That made it appear as if marriage was just a mere tax convenience. I'm saying it's wrong to do that (as are you), because there is a loving/physical/sexual component that cannot be ignored. People cannot be treated mechanically in order to justify discrimination or make it appear as if it is not discrimination. If we do this, then the definition of marriage is seriously misconstrued.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    That's what I'm doing.
    Good. Avoid contemporary baggage like hate crimes, state definition of private discrimination and programs simply adding to federal embonpoint. The cleaner your victory, the quicker, I would think. The law is the law, so even if I oppose, I defer.