User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    In most countries they can't claim the same income tax exemptions as someone with a legal spouse, or pass items on death with the same reduced taxes as to a spouse (see post above, it's only just been fixed in the UK in the last 18m)
    So gay people filing individually don't pay differently from straight people filing individually, that's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure. (just like gay people can still get married to a member of the opposite sex and tax laws apply to them as well)

Nothing said has refuted my point about what a right does and does not apply to.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    So gay people filing individually don't pay differently from straight people filing individually, that's what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.

Nothing said has refuted my point about what a right does and does not apply to.
    I think you mean, they do pay the same if filing individually (a single gay person and a single straight person).. if so yes, that is probably right in California (as I have some experience with the system there)

MBTI
    INxJ

God, this is tiresome. They DO have the same rights to the same behavior as straight people. You can't redefine the behavior allowed by a right and call it discrimination. It's no different from a pedophile kidnapping a child and then complaining that people want to take away his right to adopt.
    The point isn't behavior. There are legal benefits homosexuals do not receive.

Obama also believes we need to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and enact legislation that would ensure that the 1,100+ federal legal rights and benefits currently provided on the basis of marital status are extended to same-sex couples in civil unions and other legally-recognized unions. These rights and benefits include the right to assist a loved one in times of emergency, the right to equal health insurance and other employment benefits, and property rights.
    discrimination (getting fired) based on sexual orientation in the workplace occurs with no federal legal remedy. The President also sponsored legislation in the Illinois State Senate that would ban employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
    ensure adoption rights for all couples and individuals, regardless of their sexual orientation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

gay individuals pay higher taxes?
    There are certain statutes that say that when a married person dies, their estate avoids probate and goes to their spouse. Domestic partners aren't included, so if you're in a domestic partnership with another person and they die without a will, their estate goes through the probate system and ends up getting taxed a lot more than if you avoided the system. As well as:

Automatic application of most spousal rights such as not needing to draft a separate medical health care power of attorney or advanced medical directives
    Rent control rights
    Rights in personal injury cases
    Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) rights
    Standing in wrongful death actions when a partner is killed through someone else's negligence

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I can answer that. It's well known that anyone who does not zealously support the gay rights movement with full force is a self-loathing homosexual.
    Am I allowed to like myself just a TEESNY-weensy bit?
    *hopeful*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INF~
    Enneagram
    4 w5

I can answer that. It's well known that anyone who does not zealously support the gay rights movement with full force is a self-loathing homosexual.

Yeah, I was trying be subversive. But it really was a good question. 010101010 or whatever, may not be gay, but really think about it, why does someone who is not gay care? This seems like it's a big deal to this person...It's good to question why certain things bother us. I'm not gay but it bothers me that people want everyone to think, believe and act the same way. Not just the gay issue but any issue about freedom. If something does not hurt another person people should let it be. So child abuse is quite different than two gay adults...give me a break, so lame.
    Out beyond idea's of rightdoing and wrongdoing, there is a field, I'll meet you there. ~Rumi

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I wouldn't counter legislation with marriage opposition.
    My point was that opponents of "hate crimes" legislation would be forced to oppose "omnibus" gay rights efforts that included both gay marriage and "hate crimes" legislation as a whole package, as well as politicians that seek to implement both policies more or less simultaneously. Linking the two together generates more political opposition than pursuing gay marriage separately.

As for the rest, fair enough-the recent thread split should cut down on misunderstandings.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

God, this is tiresome. They DO have the same rights to the same behavior as straight people. You can't redefine the behavior allowed by a right and call it discrimination. It's no different from a pedophile kidnapping a child and then complaining that people want to take away his right to adopt.
    Tiresome analogies. Should we start tying offensive/loaded imagery to people of your religious persuasion (such as comparing them to the traditional nazis -- an attempt to vilify your positions by attaching them to known social undesirables whether or not they're related) and pretend to be coy about it?

No, that would be silly and cheap.
    The same goes here.

I don't even know exactly how I feel about "gay rights" or what exactly the solution is, but the ideologies all tend to be more tiresome than the practical issues.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

There are certain statutes that say that when a married person dies, their estate avoids probate and goes to their spouse. Domestic partners aren't included, so if you're in a domestic partnership with another person and they die without a will, their estate goes through the probate system and ends up getting taxed a lot more than if you avoided the system. As well as:

Automatic application of most spousal rights such as not needing to draft a separate medical health care power of attorney or advanced medical directives
    Rent control rights
    Rights in personal injury cases
    Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) rights
    Standing in wrongful death actions when a partner is killed through someone else's negligence
    I still don't see how that is discrimination against individuals.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    There are legal benefits homosexuals do not receive.
    Yeah, me too. So?
    I don't wanna!