User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INF~
    Enneagram
    4 w5

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Obama's civil rights cause appears to be homosexuality.
    And....
    about 20 years from now, people will look back and think of how weird it was that gay people didn't have the same rights...just like now we look back at the civil rights movement for women and black Americans and wonder why it was such a big deal to people back then... I hope we keep progressing in the area of human rights...If a person doesn't think it's right to be "gay" then they have the freedom to not participate, but it doesn't mean they get to force their beliefs on everyone else by restricting others' civl liberties.
    Out beyond idea's of rightdoing and wrongdoing, there is a field, I'll meet you there. ~Rumi

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Hate Crime discussion moved here.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by hopeseed View Post
    people will look back and think of how weird it was that gay people didn't have the same rights
    God, this is tiresome. They DO have the same rights to the same behavior as straight people. You can't redefine the behavior allowed by a right and call it discrimination. It's no different from a pedophile kidnapping a child and then complaining that people want to take away his right to adopt.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Proposition 8 and "hate crimes" legislation are entirely separate issues; if you insist on equating the two, you will face opposition from the opponents of either.

Sequence:

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    Lol, there wasn't supposed to be any fuss. Only an attempt by the OP to presage or conclude Obama's direction in civil rights assertion. I just liked how it turned into a semantics battle, ah well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    It's the last vestige the opposition has to hold onto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What opposition? It's amazing how much people want to portray themselves as victims.

Your thread was boring, and it ended up going a direction you didn't intend. Deal with it.

First of all, the thread is about Obama's gay rights agenda. Which includes a variety of goals, including marriage/civil unions. Second, I was responding to Withoutaface's opinion of semantics and the overall issue of homosexual civil rights assertion. Since Withoutaface and I were specifically focusing on broader issues, it's natural I approached Lateralus's reply ("your thread" implying all the issues up for discussion, not hate crimes directly) with that perspective in mind.

I wouldn't counter legislation with marriage opposition.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    God, this is tiresome. They DO have the same rights to the same behavior as straight people. You can't redefine the behavior allowed by a right and call it discrimination. It's no different from a pedophile kidnapping a child and then complaining that people want to take away his right to adopt.
    There are differences, at least in California, when it comes to probate and taxation. The differences are minor, but still.

MBTI
    INF~
    Enneagram
    4 w5

blah blah, the same old recycled argurment. You are stuck in an ideology and connot think outside of it. Answer this: Why do you care so much about gay people?
    Out beyond idea's of rightdoing and wrongdoing, there is a field, I'll meet you there. ~Rumi

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    There are differences, at least in California, when it comes to probate and taxation. The differences are minor, but still.
    gay individuals pay higher taxes?

blah blah, the same old recycled argurment. You are stuck in an ideology and connot think outside of it. Answer this: Why do you care so much about gay people?
    Are you talking to yourself?
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'm pleased to say it has finally changed in the UK to fix this issue here. They've gone through all the tax, pensions legislation etc and put in "or civil partner" wherever it said spouse. As far as I can see it has been done without exception

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I can answer that. It's well known that anyone who does not zealously support the gay rights movement with full force is a self-loathing homosexual.

MBTI
    INXP

gay individuals have higher taxes?
    In most countries they can't claim the same income tax exemptions as someone with a legal spouse, or pass items on death with the same reduced taxes as to a spouse (see post above, it's only just been fixed in the UK in the last 18m)