User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Inaugaral Benediction

Today I listened to the Reverend Joseph Lowery give the Benediction at the Presidential Inauguration.

I was a bit stunned to hear him close the solemn event with these words:

". . .we ask you (God) to work for that day when black will not be asked to get back
    When brown can stick around
    When yellow will be mellow
    When the red man can get ahead, man
    And when white will embrace the right."

There are so many thoughts which come to mind listening to these words that I scarcely know what to say.

Is he still living in the Sixties? Perhaps we can excuse his lapse of dignity because of his age?

What are your thoughts on this attempt at humor? Help me get this into some kind of perspective.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It's a black thang. (She said, being a white woman...) No, but really. You'll get used to it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    It's a black thang. (She said, being a white woman...) No, but really. You'll get used to it.
    *Puts on diving suit to prepare for throat jumping.*

I'm black, and I don't act like that. However, this attitude has been perpetuated through the culture for many years. If nothing else, I hope this administration finally eliminates it because it's only doing harm to ourselves (black people).

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Today I listened to the Reverend Joseph Lowery give the Benediction at the Presidential Inauguration.

I was a bit stunned to hear him close the solemn event with these words:

". . .we ask you (God) to work for that day when black will not be asked to get back
    When brown can stick around
    When yellow will be mellow
    When the red man can get ahead, man
    And when white will embrace the right."

There are so many thoughts which come to mind listening to these words that I scarcely know what to say.

Is he still living in the Sixties? Perhaps we can excuse his lapse of dignity because of his age?

What are your thoughts on this attempt at humor? Help me get this into some kind of perspective.
    I seem to remember a certain reverend...

MBTI
    INFP

I just plain cringed for every dignified Black person in the audience. A typical INFP response.

And as a White woman I thought to myself, "Didn't we do the right thing yet? We helped elect a Black man prez."

The listing of people by their skin color?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I find it rather funny. Throwing out a 60's slogan advocating the rights of black people from a time when they had no rights, just before inaugurating a black president is somewhat ironic and amusing because it's so out of place, in both time and circumstance.

MBTI
    INFP

Oh wait! That was a 60s slogan? That makes a little more sense.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I just plain cringed for every dignified Black person in the audience. A typical INFP response?
    I don't think so.

But then again, I pretty much cringe for every one with a cob up their rear, no matter what color they are, though I am not gonna pin that one on typology.

I thought it was a rhetorical device to show how far we've come. He used terms from the civil rights movement to come full circle and demonstrate the impact of having a black president. I also detected a tongue planted firmly in a cheek. I didn't think he was using those words in an out of touch way.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

I wasn't paying very close attention to the poets, but is there a chance that he was reciting an old poem, and not speaking of the present?

MBTI
    INFP

I'd like to hang a little looser with this but I'm not understanding the purpose of it.

What do you think? Convince me that it makes sense. Then I'll join you in hangin' loose.