User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I believe my last post was clear enough on why it's offensive.
    But it wasn't. Read your post again. You said his remarks were offensive and undignified, but you never said why. Maybe you thought the reasons were self-evident.

As for the rest, those were rhetorical questions that sprung out of this debate. In the absence of more specific reasons why the remarks were offensive, I seized on the only reasonable assumption left, which was that the mere mention of race was offensive. Those questions were not specifically addressed to your post, which is why I didn't quote you. They were rather an expansion of the discussion.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP

And yes, Mom. Wasn't Aretha awesome! That woman personifies the strength of women IN GENERAL.

Talk about a welcome "Blast From the Past!"
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    THAT'S showing poor form.

But that's today's world.
    Too many people don't practice good manners anymore.
    he's lucky he didnt get any more shoes. respect is the least thing he deserves. I think two million people showing up means the presidency is still respected.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    But it wasn't. Read your post again. You said his remarks were offensive and undignified, but you never said why. Maybe you thought the reasons were self-evident.
    He said that whites are wrong and God needs to fix them.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I don't think it's offensive, just stupid, and indicative of the fact it takes more than just one side to make racism forgiven and forgotten. Although to be fair, if I had an excuse and playable card as effective and potent as racism, I wouldn't let it go that easily either.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I guess you didn't get the memo that whites are morally inferior simply because they're white.

I'm curious about his comment "When yellow will be mellow". What is that supposed to mean? I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what people will say in his defense, first.
    Lateralus, that one got me too.

We used to have an old slogan in the Sixties, "green" in nature, which that statement called to mind, leaving me a little taken aback by the use of the word "mellow." Given the relative success of Asians in this country, and the resentment about that among certain factions of Black people, that also had it's negative connotations.

I don't know. Does discussing this stuff have merit? Or is it just over-reacting? Is it all old enough that we should just drop it and never again reference it? Is it fini and yesterday's news?

If we all stop referrencing racial identity will it help or hurt?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I thought it was amusing. A little lame.

Hardly offensive, unless you're hypersensitive to this sort of stuff.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    So the "unright whites" didn't tip you off? Pardon me.
    Here was an opportunity to celebrate how far the country had come. It's fine to refer to race, but instead of "keeping it real" he employed tired stereotypes that - most annoying to me- were false, questionable in their merit (wtf is a mellow yellow) and condemnatory (asking white to embrace right because as it is now, they're faithfully allied to the racist dark-side keeping everybody else down). It is also stupid because Obama couldn't have been elected without the massive support of the same people he just asked to "embrace right". It is as if he had no eye for the actual occasion but had heard this in some civil rights sermon 50 years ago and thought it sounded cool, screw its aptness today. Dude, rise above!

As for the rest, those were rhetorical questions that sprung out of this debate. In the absence of more specific reasons why the remarks were offensive, I seized on the only reasonable assumption left, which was that the mere mention of race was offensive. Those questions were not specifically addressed to your post, which is why I didn't quote you. They were rather an expansion of the discussion.
    Well, that would explain a bunch.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, I'm kinda laffin' at the "old f**t." He's gonna be useless if we can't keep the struggle going! Ah. The challenges of becoming obsolete, I know too well!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    We used to have an old slogan in the Sixties, "green" in nature, which that statement called to mind, leaving me a little taken aback by the use of the word "mellow." Given the relative success of Asians in this country, and the resentment about that among certain factions of Black people, that also had it's negative connotations.
    I think blacks, as a group, are jealous of asians.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."