User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    THAT'S showing poor form.

But that's today's world.
    Too many people don't practice good manners anymore.
    I agree, despite his relatively poor approval, at least have some respect for the office and institution.

MBTI
    INFP

So let me get this straight..

You find value in people showing respect for the sake of showing respect to the most unworthy of beings in their eyes?

What about the truth? Why are people afraid of it?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

He was elected to the presidency. He didn't just appear. Yes, it would make sense to show respect for the ceremony if nothing else.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Today I listened to the Reverend Joseph Lowery give the Benediction at the Presidential Inauguration.

I was a bit stunned to hear him close the solemn event with these words:

". . .we ask you (God) to work for that day when black will not be asked to get back
    When brown can stick around
    When yellow will be mellow
    When the red man can get ahead, man
    And when white will embrace the right."

There are so many thoughts which come to mind listening to these words that I scarcely know what to say.

Is he still living in the Sixties? Perhaps we can excuse his lapse of dignity because of his age?

What are your thoughts on this attempt at humor? Help me get this into some kind of perspective.
    It's offensive. Not to mention stupid (Presuming this Lowery is an Obama supporter, given the massive support he got from supposedly "not right" whites).
    It floors me that people think this kind of stuff is O.K. today. It is a lapse in dignity because it is little more than tasteless, racist pandering, regardless of how many people in the crowd erupted in laughter.
    Then again, I'm from the old school of "do unto others".
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I honestly have no idea what is supposed to be offensive about the Reverend's remarks, even if they are anachronistic. Have we gotten so sensitive to matters of race that the mere mention of race is considered racist? Is it racist to say that someone is black or brown without an accompanying negative statement? I'm floored. Which is it...are we supposed to embrace our differences or pretend they don't exist? You can't have it both ways.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    It's offensive. Not to mention stupid (Presuming this Lowery is an Obama supporter, given the massive support he got from supposedly "not right" whites).
    It floors me that people think this kind of stuff is O.K. today. It is a lapse in dignity because it is little more than tasteless, racist pandering, regardless of how many people in the crowd erupted in laughter.
    Then again, I'm from the old school of "do unto others".
    I guess you didn't get the memo that whites are morally inferior simply because they're white.

I'm curious about his comment "When yellow will be mellow". What is that supposed to mean? I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what people will say in his defense, first.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I honestly have no idea what is supposed to be offensive about the Reverend's remarks, even if they are anachronistic. Have we gotten so sensitive to matters of race that the mere mention of race is considered racist? Is it racist to say that someone is black or brown without an accompanying negative statement? I'm floored. Which is it...are we supposed to embrace our differences or pretend they don't exist? You can't have it both ways.
    I haven't a clue what you're talking about. I believe my last post was clear enough on why it's offensive.

Have we gotten so sensitive to matters of race that the mere mention of race is considered racist?
    No. Where did I suggest otherwise?
    Is it racist to say that someone is black or brown without an accompanying negative statement?
    No. Where did I suggest otherwise?

Which is it...are we supposed to embrace our differences or pretend they don't exist?
    What did I write on this issue? To put it to you more specifically, where does he embrace our differences, rather than employ dead (and accusatory) canards that ignore actual differences (or similarities!)? I'm ALL for keeping it real, so it's amusing that I'm the P.C. one all of a sudden. Not only does he NOT keep it real (can you imagine what it would have been had he done that?!), he gambled on the indulgent goodwill of the happy crowd laughing off his tasteless jingle and, for the most part, he won.

You can't have it both ways.
    You can't have what both ways?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFP

I'm hoping that we'll can get to the point where we don't have to identify people by the color of their skin.

For a representative of the group in whose name this effort was begun, and assisted at loss of life by White people, I was disappointed that we had to return to this referrence.

I believe Mr. Obama champions the cause of equality and was surprised that a member of his inner circle wants to hang onto the old way. I get that it was an attempt at humor. Maybe the attempt at making it humorous means that we are moving on. That it's no longer something to be taken so seriously.

But every time skin color is referenced I'm wondering if it doesn't reopen a lot of old wounds for some. It's a crude way to refer to others, as we all know. And most no one likes it. I think the sooner we lay that old habit to rest, the better for all of us.

And, along with EffEm, I agree that that doesn't mean we will wipe out issues of race. Or ignore them.

There are times when color of skin needs to be mentioned to make one's self clearly understood. But it's hard for me to listen to the hopeful beginning by returning to the old. If it was a contrasting statement it would have been better to not assume all would understand the humor inherent.

Because a lot of people don't "get" irony. And what that little ditty was saying beneath the words was "We hope you White folks will get with the program and give something better to all people of color."

Obviously that is the hope of all good people, yes. But it's not a message of equality. Actually the first thought that popped into my head was, "Here we go with 'The White Man's Burden' thing again. Please." Let's get out of that mind set.

I liked Kennedy's "Ask not. . ." better. Lets talk equal effort on everyone's part.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

In reference to heart's thought that I edited the OP. I didn't do that. Nor do I ever edit my posts other than to correct my increasingly atrocious spelling or wording. I allow all my other mistakes to stand otherwise threads begin to become nonsensical.

The comment you referenced, heart, occurred further along in the thread as you may have noticed.

And yes, I'd agree with Victor on your apology style. It's quite political. Thanks for the effort at understanding, nonetheless. Careful reading would help you understand me better.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    And what that little ditty was saying beneath the words was "We hope you White folks will get with the program and give something better to all people of color."
    It's not about equality, it's about retribution (for most, not all). To believe otherwise is naive.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."