User Tag List

First 1234 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I wasn't paying very close attention to the poets, but is there a chance that he was reciting an old poem, and not speaking of the present?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I thought it was a rhetorical device to show how far we've come. He used terms from the civil rights movement to come full circle and demonstrate the impact of having a black president. I also detected a tongue planted firmly in a cheek. I didn't think he was using those words in an out of touch way.
    OK. This makes sense to me. Perhaps I missed the sly irony. All I could think was that he'd gone senile on us!

Heard it on the radio and missed the visual. I'l check the guy out on UTube and see if he's still with us.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

As I understand it's something to do with Black church culture the civil rights movement. It probably just feels good in the current victory to say it again.

Though I think it might have helped ease all the ruffled feathers out there if he'd explained it.

MBTI
    INFP

I lived through the 60s and don't remember hearing it before but then remembering the 60s is tricky business all by itself. Heh.

The Black church culture thing I picked up on.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

Well, actually it appears to be a new poem written by Elizabeth Alexander and comissioned especially for today. It did sound like similar things from American Black Literature class.

So apologies for being wrong in my assessment. But I the OP sort of tasted rather sour in my mouth. I mean first off why assume Obama is a mistake because of some poem read? Why not base our judgment of him on his actions when in office. (Not that I am holding my breath over any politician these days.)

Secondly, why then ascribe that reaction to being INFP (now edited out of the OP)? ?

Third, is what is said so totally untrue in tone?

Fourth had it been said about women, it would have recieved a standing ovation from the white ladies!

MBTI
    INFP

One thing at a time and I'm getting set to go to bed.

I'll respond to the INFP thing tomorrow.

I don't see where I said that I assumed Obama was a mistake. The assumption is yours, heart. I voted for him, fer gawd's sake!

Please check this stuff out with me before passing judgement. Here we go again? Hope not.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I just plain cringed for every dignified Black person in the audience. A typical INFP response.

And as a White woman I thought to myself, "Didn't we do the right thing yet? We helped elect a Black man prez."

The listing of people by their skin color?
    Yeah you're right. I read your "didn't" as did. Nystagmus today.

I've done Anja wrong and I'm sorry.

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

You two are both great people. Don't bicker.

Love ya both.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    You two are both great people. Don't bicker.

Love ya both.
    Aren't you a sweetheart?

I admit, I'm surrounded by so many right wing wackos, I am just fed up with having every little misstep made by the Obama side blown into some kind of racial insult. I was probably over touchy.

On the other hand, I don't exactly think Obama is the second coming either. (I wish I could feel that way about the Democrats again, but I am all disillusioned about politics)

Both sides are irksome to the extreme.

If rhetoric is any indication, you have the makings of a great president.