Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    The fact you are unable to divorce your own bias from your observations says more about you than what you think is the "truth".

I don't really sympathize either. It bothers me and is something I would not engage in. Most public displays of emotion do that to me too. I quickly try to disengage from those scenes.

But those people that do those things; I don't view as "phony". That is who they are.
    Are you one who is skeptical of my type, then?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Well, I don't think I have the inability to think abstractly. Or else, how could I think outside of the box?
    I haven't seen you evidence this ability in a single one of your posts. Everything you espouse is hackneyed counterculture BS.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I haven't seen you evidence this ability in a single one of your posts. Everything you espouse is hackneyed counterculture BS.
    I am quite insulted by this. It just so happens I actually believe in some of the "counter culture BS." And I'm actually quite critical of other counter culture aspects -- like their dependency on sex, which, believe it or not, you can live without.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Although I am thinking about whether inspecting bridges once a year is sufficient, and whether the government is wasting money on "pork barrel" projects rather than investing it in better inspectors and more frequent inspections. I'm also wondering whether it was soundly constructed, or whether they just went with the cheapest bid like most local governments.
    I was listening to a press conference yesterday, and apparently the bridge was built in the 1960s.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    I was listening to a press conference yesterday, and apparently the bridge was built in the 1960s.
    Martoon's coworker lives near there and heard that the resonant frequencies of the jackhammers and such probably contributed to the collapse.

One thing that concerns me about it is that it represents a similar age to other interstate bridges. People will reassure by saying, 'think about how rare a bridge collapse is'. There is not a long history of interstate bridges. Past statistics of bridge collapses don't mean much when dealing with a unique generation of bridges.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTP

I didn't know Toonia lives near the twin cities.

I just got back from MN, I missed the wreck by a couple days. Thankfully no one I know got hurt.
    I don't wanna!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think I owe everyone an apology for my insensitivity. I didn't mean actual harm for anyone who was moved by this. I guess I just have a taste for the dark humor. My INTJ-ness doesn't shy away from making puns about morbid things.

But anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think I owe everyone an apology for my insensitivity. I didn't mean actual harm for anyone who was moved by this. I guess I just have a taste for the dark humor. My INTJ-ness doesn't shy away from making puns about morbid things.

But anyway, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
    Honestly, we had no idea that this was dark humor, we all thought you were really that dark. I think we had all just come to accept that you didn't have any sort of compassion, but decided that was no reason to ignore your perspective on topics that didn't provoke deep emotions. After all, you're still rather insightful. So if you seriously felt bad, don't worry. If you're just trying to learn how to display compassion, then you did it with aplomb. Either way, congratulations.

This bridge thing had us all feeling pretty morose, and your humor maybe helped lighten things up so we could deal with and think about it more easily. The thing about INTJ humor is, it always makes me want to laugh and shudder at the same time. (Ni-Fe conflict, I guess) You do offer an interesting perspective on things, even if it's a little creepy at times.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    One thing that concerns me about it is that it represents a similar age to other interstate bridges. People will reassure by saying, 'think about how rare a bridge collapse is'. There is not a long history of interstate bridges. Past statistics of bridge collapses don't mean much when dealing with a unique generation of bridges.
    Don was telling me about this. He said that many of our roads and bridges were built in the late fifties and early sixties and that because it is easier to build new bridges than fix old ones, many of the old ones have not received needed repairs. If that is the case, then this will likely not be a unique occurrence. I wonder how many disasters like this it will take to motivate the government to do something about it.

As if I'm not already terrified enough of city driving.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Honestly, we had no idea that this was dark humor, we all thought you were really that dark.
    speak for yourself, I thought it was pretty obvious that it was dark humor..but I didn't say anything because 90% of the people on this board are more sensitive than me, so my opinion on things like that doesn't really matter.
    I don't wanna!