User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 76

  1. #21
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong on that one. I live in a border city. We have constant coverage of what's going on across the border, and how it's effecting the city. Mexico right now is on the brink of chaos. It is no secret that the government has always been corrupt, but in recent years it has exploded. The drug lords and gangs have been putting a choke hold on the government and the law enforcement. More people have died in the drug wars down there than in the entire Iraq war. Government officials and law enforcement have been facing life or death threats from these criminal organizations. either they comply with their wishes, or they could lose their life. Thus, most decide to go corrupt because they have no choice. The amount of Americans traveling across the border has diminished greatly over the past year because of all the violence. because of the drug lords, Mexico is seriously slipping into anarchy. Ask anyone who lives on a border city and doesn't sit in front of the tv 24/7, and they will tell you. We've seen this coming for years, and watched as it's gotten worse. At the same time the government still refuses to properly secure the border.

    If mexico's government does collapse under the pressure, which it likely could, then yes, SOMEBODY is going to have to go in there and bring stability. Since we are their next door neighbor, it'll be us. My God, I'd hate to imagine the chaos that might ensue if it happens, with the violence spilling across the border. There are a great many obvious reasons why we would need to act in that situation.
    So which part of my statement is wrong? I said they wouldn't fail because we would be forced to bail them out. I don't see how our two posts are incompatible.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Oh, here's another thing that "could happen", and the Dod is currently researching, but you shouldn't really worry about:

    Gamma-ray burst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    But if you really want to be more neurotic, you can be worried about the entire Earth being cooked by high energy radiation as well =P
    When you can discern the difference between entertaining a subject, believing a subject, and KNOWING a subject, then come back and talk to me. I will then send you on a journey to go back and look at what I've been saying about the economy since '08. Everything I have said in that subject is of knowledge in the present,and belief about the future derived from the former. I'm sure you'd agree back then I sounded like a bit of a nut. You're right, what HAS OCCURRED is nuts. Now if only that destructive wave from outer space would come.... OH WAIT! That was ent-... nvm, I forgot I sent you off to figure out the difference yourself.

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    So which part of my statement is wrong? I said they wouldn't fail because we would be forced to bail them out. I don't see how our two posts are incompatible.
    True, but I was mostly disagreeing with the premise that the information in the report was strongly influenced be American anti-drug propaganda, unless you mean in the sense that we don't support the trafficking of drugs, and the crime and violence created by the drug cartels. If that's what you mean, then we agree. Otherwise, the report really has a strong foundation in what is actually occurring, regardless of our stance against drugs.

  4. #24
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp
    Posts
    8,697

    Default

    To tell you the truth I think that there are more candidates for collapse then just those two.

    As for Mexico it could happen if you ask me. Since there is alot of people. Onr the other hand it will be quite hard and expensive to bring back the order to country of that side.
    Especially since it collapsed because situation was not sustainable.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Why does that donkey have a beard?
    Of course, the most pertinent question of the hour.

  6. #26
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Well... Since Mexicans clearly seem to want to be in the united states(), Mexico might as well become a part of it... Hopefully, it'd also draw the U.S. attention closer to home and they would forget about invading Iran (and possibly Pakistan) for a while.

    However... As nationalism seems to be a big deal in good old Mexico, there would be a humongous problem with domestic terrorism and insurgency. With the "terrorists" so close to home, life would turn into a living hell for politicians and other high valued targets like generals and such. A guy traveling from Mexico to Washington D.C. might just have to refuel his car a few times, eat and sleep, then when he's there he can pick up his good old hunting rifle and take a shot at the president... The Al Quaida on the other hand has a long, long way from home, and look at all the trouble they've been causing around the world and particularly in the U.S. It's not the actual death toll as much as the financial and psychological effect of their campaign that have been the greatest success. Mexican "terrorists" (or "freedom fighters" if you will) would be able to cause a lot more actual damage, I believe.

    Just a utopia.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Well... Since Mexicans clearly seem to want to be in the united states(), Mexico might as well become a part of it... Hopefully, it'd also draw the U.S. attention closer to home and they would forget about invading Iran (and possibly Pakistan) for a while.

    However... As nationalism seems to be a big deal in good old Mexico, there would be a humongous problem with domestic terrorism and insurgency. With the "terrorists" so close to home, life would turn into a living hell for politicians and other high valued targets like generals and such. A guy traveling from Mexico to Washington D.C. might just have to refuel his car a few times, eat and sleep, then when he's there he can pick up his good old hunting rifle and take a shot at the president... The Al Quaida on the other hand has a long, long way from home, and look at all the trouble they've been causing around the world and particularly in the U.S. It's not the actual death toll as much as the financial and psychological effect of their campaign that have been the greatest success. Mexican "terrorists" (or "freedom fighters" if you will) would be able to cause a lot more actual damage, I believe.

    Just a utopia.
    Flat out, Mexico becoming seriously destabilized and/or collapsing would be extremely bad for the U.S.; a plethora of issues that would soon ensue. I honestly can't imagine any non-messy way of handling such a situation. I seriously don't want to see something like that occur. I would probably say that Meta's assertion that we wouldn't let it collapse would be the best way to go about it, because letting their government go under would be far worse. I don't want to see the U.S. intervene with Mexico's affairs, but I get the feeling some parties may go that route and deem it necessary.

  8. #28
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Even if it does collapse, nothing brings down real estate prices like a good old fashioned gang war. US can buy some land and really clean up. That's what I'd do.
    Mexico does not allow foreigners to own land.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    I think its them durn Canadians we need to look out for. Now THERE is trouble eh? ...

    I used to live near the Canadian border and once when I went to Toronto some old lady tried to rip me off in her little store because I was a teenager and she didn't think I'd know any better. I'm bitter. Bitter, bitter, bitter.



    And kidding (not about the attempted fraud though...)
    Embrace the possibilities.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Maabus1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Maybe if they would just legalize marijuana, some of those criminal assholes would be forced to look for a non-criminal job.
    A generation of culture and violence won't go away overnight, even if this did come to fruition. Besides, there is a lot more going on then just marijuana and even drugs if you ever delve deeply into Mexico.

Similar Threads

  1. Woman could face up to 5 years in prison for encouraging fight
    By Savage Idealist in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 08:11 AM
  2. Mom Could Face Jail Time for Jaywalking
    By Savage Idealist in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
  3. Hormone spray could banish shyness
    By heart in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO