User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Inauguration Watch: A State of Emergency?

Washington Wire - WSJ.com : Inauguration Watch: A State of Emergency?

Inauguration Watch: A State of Emergency?

John D. McKinnon reports on the White House.

The White House declared on Tuesday that the upcoming presidential inauguration creates an emergency in D.C. A spokesman said its the first time hes aware of that such an action has been taken in connection with an inauguration.

The White House said D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty requested the move, which makes more federal assistance available in the form of money, personnel and equipment.

We are responding to Mayor Fentys assessment that the magnitude of the crowds could stress the citys capabilities and that federal assistance is necessary, said White House spokesman Scott Stanzel.

The move gives the District access to a lot of direct federal assistance, as well as to reimbursement of costs associated with protecting public safety on Inauguration Day, according to the declaration.
    For the love of God. They are calling for a state of emergency just to be able to pay for the big CONCERT/inauguration. This is f***g absurd. My head is going to explode from the lack of sense that is consuming the nation, that has devoured Washington alive.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Heil!

MBTI
    ENTP

i dont think closing off bridges to normal traffic due to expected visitors being magnitudes greater than normal is preparing for a concert.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    i dont think closing off bridges to normal traffic due to expected visitors being magnitudes greater than normal is preparing for a concert.
    The point is they are using a measure meant for public security in crisis situations, in a time when the economy is in recession and most states are running out of funds, and directing it toward a media hyped inauguration ceremony. The problem could rather be solved by cutting out some of the BS (parades, concerts, dances, etc.) and simplifying the event since it's an inauguration, not the Grammys. It's nonsensical.

MBTI
    GONE

Hmmm, fiscally maybe you'd save money, true, but it is a historic celebration, a changing of the guard, and it's part of the democratic experience for people from all over to want to see and participate an event that is essentially all of ours.

So yes, there will be a TON of people in DC, but that isn't necessarily because the city or federal entity of DC asked people to come, people WANT to come. They're excited! The city of DC is just trying to accomodate, and it's fair to ask for federal funds because DC the city is going to bear the burden of all these costs to basically house a *federal* event.

It's not a DC city event, it's a national/federal event, yet DC city taxes and employeees and such will have to pay for much of the logisitics of it, and that's not fair. This is actually a cause of tension for a lot of DC residents and why the DC Statehood Party exists.

And a lot of the people coming to DC aren't necessarily doing so for the official balls. There are only 10 sanctioned official balls acknowledged or organized in part by the official inaugural blah blah blah committee that there is a chance of Obama appearing at.

There is a TON of other events going on and everyone wants a chance to see the free concert. The inauguration is pretty much at capacity and closed to the public. I think a lot of people are just coming to bask in the glory.

Yeah, it's a spectacle, but that's speaking more to the state of popular culture and media in general in the states and how celebrity pop culture has consumed 'serious news' and discussion about world events, etc.

In the end, the federal funds will help protect the millions of out of district visitors and tourists, so it makes sense that federal funds goes to protect basically residents of the 50 states.

PS if you've seen the metro here and how alraedy it gets at capacity during rush hour with just DC residents? OMG, it IS an emergency. I think people are gonna start falling into the tracks. I'm not kidding.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

PS I think the 'emergecny' is that the city is over-stretched in terms of manpower and resources. It's also a safety issue and they're getting REALLY strict about what you can bring into 'official inaugural zones'. No bags bigger than a small handbag, NO backpacks, and basically you'll have to be able to justify each item you have with you. With such huge crowds, it's really hard to keep an eye on people for safety reasons.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Hmmm, fiscally maybe you'd save money, true, but it is a historic celebration, a changing of the guard, and it's part of the democratic experience for people from all over to want to see and participate an event that is essentially all of ours.
    If you're implying that this inauguration is somehow different (better) than others, and because of that this stuff is warranted, I'd say that's kind of BS. An inauguration is an inauguration is an inauguration.

If that's not what you mean, NM
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    This mentality makes me sick. An entirely subjective reaction, but nonetheless 100% accurate.

Cult of Personality, look it up.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Look, I don't care who is getting inaugurated. It could be Obama, Clinton, Mccain, Ron Paul, whoever. All of this is a load of sensational BS that NEEDS to be scaled back anyway, and absolved of its vacuous effects on public money. Moving to call for a state of emergency for this is ridiculous. The founding fathers are surely rolling in their graves in their own vomit. Yes, it's a very historical moment, but come the hell on.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yeah. Honestly, just shake hands, make a quick speech, and get to work.