User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 37 of 37

  1. #31
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't know what the hell you're trying to say in the first paragraph, but my point was that if you don't watch the pennies, the dollars are going to get away from you. And what exactly would be the point in criticizing the cost of the war? That's beating a VERY dead horse.

    BTW, not that it should matter, but I voted for Obama and I still find this rather shameful.
    well, i did not vote for obama and my point is that one should not miss the forest for the trees.

  2. #32
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    i disagree. there is quite a bit to criticize about him. i havent been feeling his cabinet that well, but come on, this day is symbolic. There are still many people alive who were prevented from voting because of their race. One of the murdered men responsible for fighting for their right to vote coincidentally is also celebrated at this time.

    most intelligent people can probably not care about his race and yet still understand the symbolism for others for this event.
    You are right, there is a lot to criticize him for. But those things aren't related to race, so bringing it up is silly.

    And that is fine if you find his race to be important to you, and you should absolutely celebrate his triumph and what his appointment means for the black culture if that is something you care about.

    However it is not justification for the pomp and circumstance being thrown around here, especially during these economic times.



  3. #33
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    i disagree. there is quite a bit to criticize about him. i havent been feeling his cabinet that well, but come on, this day is symbolic. There are still many people alive who were prevented from voting because of their race. One of the murdered men responsible for fighting for their right to vote coincidentally is also celebrated at this time.

    most intelligent people can probably not care about his race and yet still understand the symbolism for others for this event.
    I see your point. Maybe we've revved up the culture so much that we don't have time for ceremony anymore? Everything is "Hurry, hurry and let's get on with it."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  4. #34
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    I hate to pull the local card but seriously, you all aren't from DC and don't even know the level of security necessary here just to get into the Smithsonian museums on a Tuesday morning. Going through National Airport you practically have to strip because you're within a stone's throw of the monuments. This isn't needless government spending. The states of Maryland and Virginia are splitting the costs with DC. DC has a big fat red arrow pointed at it for all the obvious reasons. I guess because I'm from here, I'm used to these security measures. On 9/11 DC shut down as well, you couldn't get in or out of the city.

    For Fourth of July celebrations here you have to go through metal detectors and every person entering the perimeter of the Mall goes through security check points with bag checks and everything. I'd expect no less for this particular inauguration which is of GREAT HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE. No this isn't a "normal" inauguration for all the obvious reasons. Many people want to be part of history and I don't blame them for that. The threat of an assassination is real (there's been increased "chatter" on white supremacist websites) and general intelligence. People are renting their houses out for tens of thousands of dollars for that week and every hotel room in the city and surrounding area is booked. My city outside of DC is expected to have an additional 24,000 people beginning this weekend.

    I don't see any harm in taking these precautions because all indicators say there are going to be a lot of people here. A lot of people brings a lot of stupidity. How dumbass would America look if it's first black president got assassinated during his inauguration or some terrorist organization attacked the metro system? Security precautions are taken every time there's a large scale march or protest here in DC, streets get shut down and hospitals are put on alert. It's nothing unusual to me. *shrug*
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  5. #35
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    i used to live in the va burbs, so i know all about dc's wackiness.

  6. #36
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I hate to pull the local card but seriously, you all aren't from DC and don't even know the level of security necessary here just to get into the Smithsonian museums on a Tuesday morning. Going through National Airport you practically have to strip because you're within a stone's throw of the monuments. This isn't needless government spending. The states of Maryland and Virginia are splitting the costs with DC. DC has a big fat red arrow pointed at it for all the obvious reasons. I guess because I'm from here, I'm used to these security measures. On 9/11 DC shut down as well, you couldn't get in or out of the city.

    For Fourth of July celebrations here you have to go through metal detectors and every person entering the perimeter of the Mall goes through security check points with bag checks and everything. I'd expect no less for this particular inauguration which is of GREAT HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE. No this isn't a "normal" inauguration for all the obvious reasons. Many people want to be part of history and I don't blame them for that. The threat of an assassination is real (there's been increased "chatter" on white supremacist websites) and general intelligence. People are renting their houses out for tens of thousands of dollars for that week and every hotel room in the city and surrounding area is booked. My city outside of DC is expected to have an additional 24,000 people beginning this weekend.

    I don't see any harm in taking these precautions because all indicators say there are going to be a lot of people here. A lot of people brings a lot of stupidity. How dumbass would America look if it's first black president got assassinated during his inauguration or some terrorist organization attacked the metro system? Security precautions are taken every time there's a large scale march or protest here in DC, streets get shut down and hospitals are put on alert. It's nothing unusual to me. *shrug*
    True, there needs to be LOTS of security. I just hope these EMERGENCY funds would go to security of the city and not to pay for the arbitrary events themselves. I still say CUTTING BACK ON THE WHOLE CIRCUS would make the event more cost effective and more secure/safer.

  7. #37
    Senior Member dga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    True, there needs to be LOTS of security. I just hope these EMERGENCY funds would go to security of the city and not to pay for the arbitrary events themselves. I still say CUTTING BACK ON THE WHOLE CIRCUS would make the event more cost effective and more secure/safer.
    what you might not realize is that privately produced events are also going on. This could be the times square new years eve of political celebrations, and everyone that can make it in is coming in and everyone that could possibly throw a party is throwing a party. Cutting back on official events, and security is most likely the biggest expense there, is not going to impact the partying going on across the capital and what that mass of people will mean to the system. For what it is worth, I work in event production and have been on jobs with political visitors and closed streets, etc.

    Video is one of the biggest costs for technical production, but if you cheap out on that and do not provide enough, the crowds will try to force their way even further to the front that they already are, and the crowds are coming anyway.

    or to be pragmatic, 15 million is cheap compared to losing control of hundreds of thousands to a million or more tourists... The expected crowds will in fact be larger than the population of dc

Similar Threads

  1. State of the Union
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
  2. What are you guys feeling about the state of affairs now?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
  3. Altering One's State of Mind
    By Ezra in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
  4. U.S.E (United states of Europe)
    By Virtual ghost in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-27-2008, 01:14 PM
  5. Take a drink and you'll sink to a state of pure inebriation.
    By Firelie in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 03:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO