User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    This mentality makes me sick. An entirely subjective reaction, but nonetheless 100% accurate.

Cult of Personality, look it up.
    yea, how dare anyone but a member of the old white guy cult get elected to the most powerful nation on the planet for the first time after said nation enslaved and disenfranchised nonwhites for most of its history? Why would any of its citizens get excited about the changing of the guard from one if not the worst presidents in its history?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Obama should be trying to sap up as much Obama love as he can. The interest is definitely there, so the smart thing to do is have a party.

MBTI
    ENTP

you guys realize you are bitching over 15 million when every other piece of news going on is about billions?

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    you guys realize you are bitching over 15 million when every other piece of news going on is about billions?
    Those billions are made up of lots of little parcels of $15 million.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    yea, how dare anyone but a member of the old white guy cult get elected to the most powerful nation on the planet for the first time after said nation enslaved and disenfranchised nonwhites for most of its history? Why would any of its citizens get excited about the changing of the guard from one if not the worst presidents in its history?
    Oh, I keep forgetting it's always about race.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Exactly. People don't fecking understand the problem here. It is this type of stupid government spending multiplied billions of times over. If there are people out there who really don't understand this by now, then somebody help us... (preferably not the government).

MBTI
    GONE

Geez people, I'm not saying it's a great inauguration because I wanted Obama to win or that's it better and therefore deserves more money, but is it historically significant in a way that past inaugurations have not? You bet your patootie! Even haters have to acknowledge this. Therefore people are really excited -- and you can't keep the people down.

Especially when they swarm in droves and descend onto DC like millions and millions and millions of ants on this tiny corner of the country.

Neither the mayor nor the city nor the residents of DC asked people to descend on DC (trust me, some people want to *leave* DC) but it's happening and it's DC city employees and infrastructure that's bearing the brunt. Yes, the federal/national inaugural events will have their own secret service and other non-city employees, but as a city, it's not fair to have to spend all its reserves to basically serve a *national* event.

I think Mayor Fenty was basically asking the government to put a little money in the pot. The city already spends a lot of money on heightened security for the president (then Bush) and Affairs of Worldly Importance.

I'm saying the money is warranted because the city really is at capacity. People in DC have NO IDEA where all these extra people are gonna go.

As for just do your job and go -- again, the president answers to the people. The people want a show, they'll get one. You can't really blame 1 person for that. You can blame democracy. In the modern celebrity and technology obsessed age. Can I start singing, "We didn't start the fire" by Billy Joel, now?

Blame MTV and HBO for filming these events. The tickets for the Youth Ball which I've written elsewhere, was the most affordable of the official balls because it's for the kids (35 and under, LOL). $75 a pop. Now they're being legally scalped for $1200 each. That happened in matter of less than a week or so after MTV announced it's involvement. Beyonce et. al. are performing.

Obama tapped into the younger voters and you're seeing that in a hipper shift in entertainment and events. That's ties into how popular inauguration week is gonna be and all the folks coming in.

You can say it's a sick spectacle but I think politics celebrinews and etc. etc. etc. is pretty pervasive in the US and old news. I personally am holding out on judgement on Obama himself until the man actually gets into office. I don't really see who or where you could blame for the $15 million request - I don't think it's just one factor. Because again, I think at this point it's a legitimate claim for security -- even with the mundane day to day millions are spent to protect the president and other officials in this city.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

Obama tapped into the younger voters and you're seeing that in a hipper shift in entertainment and events. That's ties into how popular inauguration week is gonna be and all the folks coming in.
    You are not making me hopeful about my generation -_- .

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    no they aren't. those billions are imaginary numbers electronically transferred to people paid millions to fuck up.

an event drawing hundreds of thousands of people to over a million will generate so much tax revenue that 15 million will be a drop in the bucket. Hotels all over the area are expected to be booked full and that is after doubling or tripling their rates. Tourism is an important industry for DC.

the war efforts in iraq cost magnitudes of 15 million every single day, yet i do not see any of the critics of this inauguration daily criticizing its cost.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Oh, I keep forgetting it's always about race.
    your words, not mine, and usually the words of racists.