User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 387

  1. #61
    Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Jack did you serve in the military? You sound sometimes like you have and I was just curious.
    Embrace the possibilities.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    Jack did you serve in the military? You sound sometimes like you have and I was just curious.
    No, I thought about it pretty hard for about a year, but in the end, my lack of decisiveness on the issue was a decision not to join in the end.

    And I was philosophically prepared for it, by saying "Once I sign, I lose my free will until they sign it back over."

  3. #63
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    "Some," right? I would imagine that since he knew the situation quite well, he was as cautious as can be about who he did and didn't come out to.
    You make it more and more apparent that you refuse to watch the clip.

    The degree is not of fundamental importance. It exists, and it can therefore cause undue conflict.
    There are already rules in place to deal with misconduct.

    A military career is a choice, and it requires sacrificing freedom in every aspect of life, not just for the homosexual. The military's purpose is not to assure every soldier feels comfortable with his sexuality or anything else. You live by different rules when you join up, and why people think they should be free to do whatever they want is really beyond me. It's not about them, it's about the nation. They can do what they want on their own time, when they get out, or they can choose a career with more lackadaisical regulations.
    What does having the right to not be expelled from the military because of your sexual orientation have to do with being "free to do whatever" or being comfortable with your sexuality? If you are so reasonable about all this, then why are you distorting what it is actually about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  4. #64
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    I'm not seeing why making the military more accommodating for gays is a bad thing....?

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    You make it more and more apparent that you refuse to watch the clip.
    Yeah, I'm not going to watch your clip, because I don't feel like it, and I have no incentive to feel like it. Sorry, I'm not in the military, I get to watch what I want.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'm not seeing why making the military more accommodating for gays is a bad thing....?
    Imagine, if you will, a large machine designed to do a job well, and a few gears in this machine decide to be selfish, saying "Hey, you, large lever arm, look at me, I'm different and you have to accept it" instead of quietly turning around like a gear should, until it's worn out and thrown back wherever gears come from.

  6. #66
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Imagine, if you will, a large machine designed to do a job well, and a few gears in this machine decide to be selfish, saying "Hey, you, large lever arm, look at me, I'm different and you have to accept it" instead of quietly turning around like a gear should, until it's worn out and thrown back wherever gears come from.
    I don't think so.

  7. #67
    Fe, rusted. Poser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Gays are allowed to be in the military, just not to talk about it. It's not that hard to shut your mouth and get with the program. Not a great deal of sacrifice there.

    How well does "Don't ask, don't tell" work? I really don't know. Say if the rest of the guys are out and a girl is trying to pick the gay guy up. And the guy turns her down. His friends ask "what is wrong with you? She was beautiful!". If there is even the hint of the person being gay, is it investigated? I have no idea, the only thing I can think of is the scene during GI Jane, when she was "thought" to be gay and therefore removed.


  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    How well does "Don't ask, don't tell" work? I really don't know. Say if the rest of the guys are out and a girl is trying to pick the gay guy up. And the guy turns her down. His friends ask "what is wrong with you? She was beautiful!".
    If he's tough enough to fight a war, I'm sure he's tough enough to take one for the team. LOL.

  9. #69
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah, I'm not going to watch your clip, because I don't feel like it, and I have no incentive to feel like it. Sorry, I'm not in the military, I get to watch what I want.
    I'm simply trying to save you from looking like an idiot by making judgments on something that you haven't even viewed. For somebody who proclaims them self "pro sense" you haven't been very sensible by doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I simply trying to save you from looking like an idiot by making judgments on something that you haven't even viewed. For somebody who proclaims them self "pro sense" you haven't been very sensible by doing so.
    Oh, thank you.

    By the way, it's obvious to me that the debate on gays in the military is a proxy for others here, while it's only regarding specific circumstances to me. I'm all in favor of gaiety in the free world.

Similar Threads

  1. Deafies to Hearies: "We don't need no stinking implants!!!!"
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 06:02 PM
  2. Dont Ask Don't Tell--Homophobia or Sexual Repression?
    By kyuuei in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 12:28 AM
  3. I don't want to end up with a guy who's just like my dad...
    By Queen Kat in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 10:49 PM
  5. What they don't tell you about eating boogers...
    By The Ü™ in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO