User Tag List

First 202829303132 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    1. I have provided evidence against this policy. Remember these video clips that you refused to watch.

YouTube - Hearing on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - Rep. Patrick Murphy
    YouTube - Hearing on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - Staff Sergeant Alva
    YouTube - Hearing on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - Captain Joan Darrah

2. You have not provided any valid evidence to continue the policy. You have only provided your rational and personal reasons for why you believe we should keep the policy.
    Personal? I think not. My empathy allows me to predict reactions.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    More like...A blowjob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Great idea, we could train gay baby elephants as marines and illegal immigrant bolivian llamas as jet pilots.

How did they not think of that ?

You know, topics like this really bring out the best in people. Differing views or not, I tend to find the people who I would prefer to NOT to be in the same room with a lot easier. Comments like these are unnecessary. We're having a discussion, not a 'lets make rude and assenine comments' contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    This doesn't mean it's a good idea to encourage hopeless outcasts to join a fighting force.
    Sadly, I think this is exactly what a lot of recruiters do.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This would be fine if the American people always made incredible decisions when electing officials. The last 8 years though, eh. I guess they had a minor hiccup? And repealing DADT is the rational, responsible, and fair thing to do for who? The gays, or the military? I am not against the eventual destruction of DADT, but I would like to see the general culture of the country change a bit first. We still don't have gay marriage, gay adoption, and gays are still denied equal civil rights in many cases. That doesn't sound like a society that accepts gays as equal to me.
    I understand where you (and the others) are coming from in saying that the military would be the last place you would try to change the culture on this issue. The other areas you mentioned would be easier (not easy) venues to encourage change.

The problem though, is that it isn't an easy topic any way you look at it, especially in a country as conservative as the US. Where do you begin? Even if this is NOT repealed, think of all the discussion it will bring about in the process of trying to have it undone. Getting people talking is the first step, and if this thread is any indication, it is working.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post

You know, topics like this really bring out the best in people. Differing views or not, I tend to find the people who I would prefer to NOT to be in the same room with a lot easier. Comments like these are unnecessary. We're having a discussion, not a 'lets make rude and assenine comments' contest.
    I'm sure Nihilen was being sarcastic, and trying to show the semantics error of the poster he replied to. He support gay rights. In fact, he was making fun of how silly other people's perspectives are on the subject, by putting up a pic of army guys in pink, a few pages back.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I'm sure Nihilen was being sarcastic, and trying to show the semantics error of the poster he replied to. He support gay rights. In fact, he was making fun of how silly other people's perspectives are on the subject, by putting up a pic of army guys in pink, a few pages back.
    My apologies Nihilen. I guess I didn't read far enough back.
    Embrace the possibilities.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I took everything into consideration first. I looked into the history of gays being able to serve openly in the military. I read about the many places it's been allowed and how it was received. The military is strict everywhere. Human nature is the same, regardless of where one is located. There was backlash in the beginning of the repeals for the 26 nations, and as time went by, it reached equilibrium in every single situation. Those were all real time working models to take data from. It's functional empirical evidence. I also took into account the legitimate polls done in the U.S. for the general population, and military personnel. I know two lesbians in the military. In the many years they have been in the service, they have yet to even hear about, much less witness anything tragic towards suspected or out gays if their units are accepting. I think Obama wouldn't try to repeal DADT, if he didn't have the knowledge that it could actually work.
    So this is obviously a solid argument for the pro-repeal side. And the strongest thing I've seen from Peguy and Jack Flak was Flak talking about flamboyance.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So this is obviously a solid argument for the pro-repeal side. And the strongest thing I've seen from Peguy and Jack Flak was Flak talking about flamboyance.
    It's not an argument for it, for Christ's sake, and the tenth time! *pulls hair out; destroys random things*

That's an argument which simply states "If we do X, there's a good chance everything won't go to hell." It's as stupid and Obama-esque as it gets.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It's not an argument for it, for Christ's sake, and the tenth time! *pulls hair out; destroys random things*

That's an argument which simply states "If we do X, there's a good chance everything won't go to hell." It's as stupid and Obama-esque as it gets.
    You're losing it, man. But why start making sense now?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You're losing it, man. But why start making sense now?
    That is a good point. When in history has sense withstood the steamroller of popular nonsense? Not once.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

That is a good point. When in history has sense withstood the steamroller of popular nonsense? Not once.
    Jack, just acknowledge that they have arguments for their side but you don't have high priority for them.bMaking the claim that they have no arguments for their side isn't doing you any favors. It makes you look like you can't distinguish fact from opinion.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Jack, just acknowledge that they have arguments for their side but you don't have high priority for them.bMaking the claim that they have no arguments for their side isn't doing you any favors. It makes you look like you can't distinguish fact from opinion.
    You have no idea, Poriferan. If they do have decent positive arguments for this change, they're keeping them a secret.

Tell me, do you honestly think "It probably won't cause the organization to collapse, to any great degree..." is a positive argument, when we already know everythings going fine as is? IT AIN'T BROKE.