INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    lolz~ okay well i guess im glad i never dated a girl in the army then. lolz
    um, what?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    That's a very good point, Jennifer. I suppose it would be like any situation where one person likes another, but it isn't reciprocated. They either discuss it and work out a plan that is respectful to both parties, or ask for different living arrangements.
    Or one of them gets beat to a bloody pulp. It actually happens, I don't see where this over-reliance on rules comes into play.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    um, what?
    lolz i mean, i met girls who were in the army, if thats what they really go thru, it would be too much for me to handle.

MBTI
    INTP

Gays join the army for the same reason straight people do. To serve their country, get money for college, or out lack of any other viable options. Most people that go to war, aren't putting themselves in danger for their army comrades. They do it for their family, friends, support for America, or because they simply have to.
    Not to derail, but while you're right concerning the reasons that people join the army, I think fighting for one's comrades BECOMES a very important factor after months of training/mental conditioning, not to mention experiencing combat conditions together.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Not to derail, but while you're right concerning the reasons that people join the army, I think fighting for one's comrades BECOMES a very important factor after months of training/mental conditioning, not to mention experiencing combat conditions together.
    I didn't say it was irrelevant. I was just addressing the initial reasons people probably have before entering the service. They wouldn't have known their comrades yet.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Or one of them gets beat to a bloody pulp. It actually happens, I don't see where this over-reliance on rules comes into play.
    There will most definitely be incidents like that, but not everyone is a close minded neanderthal. It's one thing to dislike it, and another entirely to beat someone up over it. There will be repercussions for gay hate crimes. After a generation or two, it shouldn't be half as bad as it will be in the beginning.

Openly gay in the Israeli military (since 1993):

In a 2007 University of California-Santa Barbara study of 17 heterosexual IDF soldiers, only "two said they would have a problem serving under a gay commander and three expressed concern about showering with a gay colleague. None objected to gay soldiers in general."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

There will most definitely be incidents like that, but not everyone is a close minded neanderthal. It's one thing to dislike it, and another entirely to beat someone up over it. There will be repercussions for gay hate crimes. After a generation or two, it shouldn't be half as bad as it will be in the beginning.
    It's cultural. The culture of upbringing determines the attitude more often than not, and the culture of the military is much, much closer to rural Ohio than urban San Francisco. If I were gay, and I joined the military, the last thing I would ever do is let anyone know it, because ostracization isn't fun, and it's even worse when the regulations are in place to force acceptance. The old guard is perturbed by the mutilation of their cultural standards, and appreciates the chance to rail against it in whatever way they can--Creating social outcasts is an extremely effective method, and not directly against any rules.

In a hundred years, military culture may be very fond of homosexuality (Though I wouldn't place much cash on that), and the rules should naturally follow.

As things are today, I think the regulatory allowance of openly homosexual people in the military is an invitation to people of your persuasion (That if it's according to the rules, no one should have any other say about it) to get themselves into mortal trouble.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i hate that it's that way but it sure seems as though it is...people shouldn't feel they need to take one for the team...why is it so important to announce it in that setting...it shouldn't be at all relevant to the objective.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    OMNi

It sounds like you have a very high opinion of the US military.

What exactly about our culture makes our military so unprofessional that it can't do what 24 other countries have done and allow gays to serve openly in the military?

YouTube - Hearing on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - Rep. Patrick Murphy

And why is it so important that we don't move to change that aspect of our culture?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    enfp

Openly gay in the Israeli military (since 1993):
    Israel is a little different.

In Israel, ALL men and ALL women MUST serve in the military.

So things just have to work out.

Btw, I think if the US ever has compulsory military duty, then it should extend to women as well as men, like Israel.