User Tag List

First 17252627282937 Last

^That could be very likely, but, it wouldn't be to prove a point to get through to the ultra-conservatives that gays aren't all raving sex-addicts, but, give a message, clearly, military has got NOTHING to do with sexual orientation. No commentary, either way.

There's a policy. Policy of the army. If you join the army, it applies to you. Period. Not, applies to you, but,not you, oh, not you too, but, oh ya, definitely you.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Prejudice is in itself, irrational.
    Wrong
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Wrong

Prejudice

N

1. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
      2. A preconceived preference or idea.
    1. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions.
    2. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
    3. Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived, unfavorable conviction of another or others.

tr.v., -diced, -dicing, -dices.
    1. To cause (someone) to judge prematurely and irrationally.
    2. To affect injuriously or detrimentally by a judgment or an act.

Did you notice how many times irrational was listed?

MBTI
    OMNi

Wrong
    You might be thinking of discrimination. There is such a thing as rational discrimination, there is no such thing as rational prejudice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Prejudice

N

1. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.

1. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions.
    3. Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived, unfavorable conviction of another or others.

The military knows a thing or two about prejudice.

Terminate with extreme prejudice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    You might be thinking of discrimination. There is such a thing as rational discrimination, there is no such thing as rational prejudice.
    Stereotype, prejudice, discrimination. First, a set of beliefs about a group of people, prejudice, a negative emotional reaction to said set of beliefs, discrimination, the acting out of prejudice. Stigma, a way more complex term, that inter-relates all the above 3.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Prejudice

N

Did you notice how many times irrational was listed?
    Yeah, I do, but I'm not really a fan of dictionary definitions, so I don't care, especially with abstract concepts like this. Prejudice is not a reflex. It's a thought process, pared down because it's not possible to gather all possible data for every possible decision. You might call prejudice unreasonable, but that's not the same as irrational. Humans will always pre-judge, even you.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxJ

Yeah, I do, but I'm not really a fan of dictionary definitions, so I don't care, especially with abstract concepts like this. Prejudice is not a reflex. It's a thought process, pared down because it's not possible to gather all possible data for every possible decision. You might call prejudice unreasonable, but that's not the same as irrational. Humans will always pre-judge, even you.
    People that ignore facts and create their own subjective interpretations, wouldn't be fond of dictionary definitions. I agree.

I have stated many times in this thread, that prejudice will never cease to exist. Nor am I without my own bias.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

People that ignore facts and create their own subjective interpretations, wouldn't be fond of dictionary definitions. I agree.

I have stated many times in this thread that prejudice will never cease to exist. Nor am I without my own bias.
    But what you don't understand, obviously, is that facts and figures are almost always a pale, distorted representation of reality, and someone who indeed subjectively analyzes real situations will have a better picture.

And still, there's absolutely no case been made which results in the military itself being better off after this policy is ended. Arguments to the contrary though, are myriad. The only benefit I see, in all my brutal honesty, is that gay civilians will get to feel better.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Furthermore, 010, psychologically speaking, you define prejudice. You've first created an internal conclusion, and second, sought out all evidence you could find to support it. (This is how Ti works, if you're interested, and I've hardly seen an INTJ with more reliance on the function).

This is not how someone like myself (Or other N-dominants) operate. First is the big picture analysis, second is the conclusion.